Good quick change tool holder for Craftsman 6in 101 lathe?

You want a 0XA post and tool holders. I recommend Shars as a supplier; they're not as cheap as seemingly identical products on Amazon or eBay, but they spec high quality and won't ship bottom of barrel junk like a fly-by-night seller. Typical of China imports, sometimes you need to open and inspect several items to find a "good one", Shars does that step for you so what you receive works as intended.

I had a less than stellar experience with Shars involving a set of poorly made chuck jaws, but it was a few years ago; maybe they have improved
I had to struggle with them but eventually got the issue resolved
-M

Aluminum is a soft metal. You want mass to damp vibrations generated from cutting, and you need rigidity to support the forces involved in making a cut. That is best accomplished with steel, even on a small lathe- they need all the support they can get to produce an even surface finish.

I would be concerned about the sliding parts wearing out too soon on the aluminum version

I'd pass on the aluminum post as it won't be money well spent. I'd go for a steel, OXA wedge-style post. It will serve you much better in the long run.

Up until now I had no idea Aloris made an aluminum quick change tool post. Wonder who or what they’re seeing as the market for them?

1681359961075.jpeg

Back