Good safety products to have

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I know there have been lots of posts about splinters, razors, duct tape, magnets
I have used the magnet to get out a fine unseeable splinter..
Thought I would mention one of the best tweezers out there. I use it for wood working, and again tonight after getting a metal splinter in my hand.
Uncle Bills Sliver Gripper
Another great tool is some really powerful reading glasses if you don't wear glasses. I use 3.0 to see fine splinters. Or when doing some really fine stuff. I normally wear safety glasses with a 1.5 bifocal. So 3.0 is a big diff.

And for fiberglass itchies... duct tape or painters tape , just keep running it up and down your arms, legs whatever.

Those picks that the dentist uses works well too. Next time you go just ask for some used ones. My dentist gave me a box full.

Embarrassing to admit, but the splinters I feel the worse are the almost invisible metal ones. I have a 20/40 power binocular microscope that I use for these, but the tweezers I have make it seem like I’m trying to pull a nail with a couple baseball bats. Can Uncle Bill’s tweezers really grip a short maybe .001” diameter sliver? If you say so, I will give them a try.

Edit…I never thought about magnets, surprising that would work.

Yeah the slivers that come off my die grinder are particularly bad because they stick to ferrous metal seemingly straight out. So I’ve gotten to where I clear the area when I use that thing. The little tweezers built into my Leatherman micro used to be the bomb for those little slivers but I don’t know if it’s my failing eyesight or decades of use but it seems like not good anymore.

i put a rare earth (neodymium) magnet on a razor blade for ferrous splinter removal :eagerness:
how does the magnet work Mike? Does it just make the sliver stand up or?
Uncle Bills Sliver Gripper
are yours bought recently? I always take the Amazon reviews with a grain o salt but there were quite a few remarks of shoddy workmanship.

Yeah the slivers that come off my die grinder are particularly bad because they stick to ferrous metal seemingly straight out. So I’ve gotten to where I clear the area when I use that thing. The little tweezers built into my Leatherman micro used to be the bomb for those little slivers but I don’t know if it’s my failing eyesight or decades of use but it seems like not good anymore.

are yours bought recently? I always take the Amazon reviews with a grain o salt but there were quite a few remarks of shoddy workmanship.
no, I bought mine years ago. I bought it for woodworking, but it has also been fantastic for metal.

it's tough reading reviews these days. There are so many weenies who use a product for something it wasn't intended for and then complain.. Or they ruin them doing the not intended purpose and then they don't work for the intended purpose. Some are factual... Some are weenies who just complain about everything. So it's hard to know. I read the low reviews first. I try to ascertain whether its a valid review..
I work my way up the reviews to the more positive reviews.. I ignore, just got it and

I ignore, just got it and
LOL! One of the first reviews gave it one star and was full of silly dings like it didn’t come with the cap in the ad pic. Another said he had to clean up the burrs on the tip. I would think they would be there to grip the sliver, wouldn’t it?

The magnet attracts the splinter.
Usually in just a couple swipes
Sometimes exploratory digging is involved for especially nasty splinters

not the greatest pics.. but you can see the serrations in the tips.. micro serrations.. the tips just touch.

Attachments

• 20211019_102020.jpg
    20211019_102020.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211019_102028.jpg
    20211019_102028.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211019_102036.jpg
    20211019_102036.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211019_102044.jpg
    20211019_102044.jpg