Good Source for Project Materials

bcall2043

Active User
Registered

Earlier in the week I tried to post about a trip to the scrap yard for project materials and it got lost in the data base issue.

I had just started a small project consisting adding a rack to a roll around hoist frame for painting some things. I needed a few additional pieces of material so I decided to go to my favorite material source (the scrap yard) and pick up what was needed. The timing for the visit was good as some industrial shop had recently dumped a new load containing a lot of material drops (short pieces). Going through the pile I was able to find a number of short rounds, flats, rectangles, and hex pieces of unkownium alloys in various sizes. These provided the material needed to complete the current project and some extra for the materials box.

But wait there was a bonus! I also found two hex T-handle wrenches, a Williams Tool 7/16" square wrench, several good drill bits, two tap holders, a Bridgeport type spindle feed handle, a brazed carbide lathe tool, and smooth 6" Kurt type vise jaws. This is one of the reasons I love the scrap yard as a source for project materials! Another reason is they are cheaper than the materials stores.

I know this sounds kind of like a tool gloat so I have included the required photo. :)) It shows the bouus tools less the vise jaws which I have not cleaned up yet. The jaws were nasty with grease. No kidding if you have a scrap yard that will let you in, they are a great source for cheap materials. Just beware of the bonus things, they add to the cost! :lmao:

Benny

Bonus Tool Find.jpg

You didn't find the Bridgeport that handle goes to??? :thumbsup:

Well Benny, you made an exceptionally good haul today; you need to post more pics! Ken, he didn't find the B'port today, just give us a little time, never know what you'll find there. I'm grateful tthat we have Clarks scrap metal in our town and very grateful that they allow us to peruse the back. Woody is a GEM!
Bob

You didn't find the Bridgeport that handle goes to??? :thumbsup:

4gsr,

The crane operator sometimes gets crush happy:nuts: and may have already sent the rest of the Bridgeport to the crusher.

Benny

Well Benny, you made an exceptionally good haul today; you need to post more pics! ..............................
Bob

Bob,

I have not mentioned todays haul in a post yet. I was just catching up on the post that I lost earlier. I had logged out and was doing a search on today's toy find.

Woody is the best as you say.

Benny

I love going to the scrap yard. Several years ago I went searching for some round stock and found a Tapmatic tapping head and a wrecked three wheeler. Someone cut the axles and forks off of it but the motor and such was complete with good compression. When I got it home I hooked up some fuel and a battery and the thing ran.... it went on Craigslist as a go cart motor for some lucky kid. The Tapmatic head needed some serious cleaning but worked well. I had to replace the collet setup with a small drill chuck and it works well with 1/4'' taps or smaller. Unfortunately I never use it so it collects dust in the shed. I forgot about getting some roundstock that day but found another source, the community college....

Went to the closest scrap yard this AM. Cashed in some junk rifle brass $1.80/lb 37lbs.
I asked the counter guy about buying back for projects. Told him what I was looking for and he basically says. We just dont see much of that these days. ( round stock with some dia and length to it) He did not have much but offered these up for $15 for the pair.
10lb 11oz 20” and 24” , 2” dia and 1-3/4” dia
Going to be my test bars.

Back