Goofy Chuck

dlane

Active User
Registered
I have this spare 3 jaw chuck laying around ,it's got some strange jaws on it ,anyone know what it's for.?
Thinking of making mount holes on RT fixture plate for it also ,what u think. I have a couple other 3jaws too
The small 4" Dexter tommy bar Chuck has a 1" shaft off the back for some reason. It's a cute little thing.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
I guess this Chuck won't grip small round parts , it dosn't fit any of my lathes, no name , made in England
Second thought I should mount a different 3jaw that closes to the plate. Any advice ?.
Thanks

+1 to what KD mentioned. PO added the jaws. Take them off and see what you have.
You might just have a useful chuck body/base under them.
Can you post a pict of the backside of it?

That Dexter(?) three jaw off to the right is of interest... What arbor does it have on it? 1" straight?

Dan the Dexter has a 1" straight shank out the back bout 3" long .
The goofy Chuck has no back plate on it , I'll get a pic of it tomorrow , come to think of it there are some Chuck jaws that were in the same box that Chuck was in , I'm done in the shop for today first thing in the morning I'll be checking that out
Thanks

Yeah, that 3-jaw chuck with soft top jaws was probably made back in the days before an ANSI standard was established for master and soft jaws as we have today. Most chucks today 15" and smaller, made to the tongue and groove standard of today, have two sets of screw holes per jaw.

Not a deal breaker. Just have to make soft jaws to fit.

dont the soft jaws bolt down to the two holes in the top of the hard jaws ?

Stuart

The 1/4" dowell holes with a 5/16 center shcs in jaws can do a 180 .
I hope to do somthing else on the other side of the jaws.
The Dexter should fit in the 3-4 jaw !.
These chucks and others are laying around, " use them or loose them"
Wanting to make me a rotary welding rig./ table , it's on the list too.
Thanks

Last edited:
The 1/4" dowell holes with a 5/16 center bolt in jaws can do a 180 .
I hope to do somthing else on the other side of the jaws.

Thats handy, saw the holes and presumed they were threaded.

Stuart

Hi derrick,
the 3 jaw looks like it was meant to hold a splined shaft of some sort- i have not seen an arrangement like that before, very interesting.
maybe somebody was making axles or cutting them down???

that lil Dexter unit looks really cool too:D

Last edited:
Back