Gorton 9J new member of the Shop

Joe Pitz

Registered
Registered
Just took arrival of a 9J Gorton. Started to go through the mill head, getting ready for cleaning, painting and lubing. Anyone know how to pull the front pulley?
I have removed the set screws, the draw bar, top plate, and bolts. Also trying to remove the shaft from the quill, all set screws removed, handle etc. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I will post some pics here in a bit.

Thanks

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Welcome to the forum.

post some pictures, we like pictures.

1ohn

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Oops, I see your post count is 255 :oops: I was on my phone earlier and just got excited to see a Gorton mentioned. I used to have a 1-22 Mastermill, shouldn't have given it up.

Some technical info here.

There's a pretty good exploded view of the head so if you have everything loose it may just be a matter of more pressure.

Cheers,

John

mikey

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey, Joe, long time! Welcome back to the forum.

Joe Pitz

Registered
Registered
Thanks John, just spend all afternoon trying to get the pulley off, I guess next step is a little heat on the outside of the pulley.

Joe

Joe Pitz

Registered
Registered
Here are some images of the beast. Purchased from a local guy, had it covered under his patio for 20 years, hardly used it. He purchased it from work, they had it in the tool room, not sure how much it was used. He had it powered up and running. I have started cleaning and de-rusting.

Attachments

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Looks like a worthy project. Gorton is a very good name in the business.
Any tooling come with?

Joe Pitz

Registered
Registered
Looks like a worthy project. Gorton is a very good name in the business.
Any tooling come with?
Yes, collets, a few collet taper heads, 4" insert face mill, a few fly cutters. A good start. Thanks

Joe

Joe Pitz

Registered
Registered
Here are some more pics of the restoration progress on the mill:

Parts cleaning and paint stripping has started

I have started a Youtube series for the mill restore, 1st video:

Attachments

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Gorton made some really stout machines, can't go wrong with them, especially if you want to do heavier work.

FOMOGO

Active User
Those are really nice machines. I picked one up a while back, old Navy machine. It's a horizontal mill with the optional vertical head.Still need to upgrade my rpc to 20hp so I can run it. Do you have the ram for the V-ways on top for yours, or do they serve some other function on that model? Will be following along with interest on your rebuild. Cheers, Mike

This is the model I have. Mine is I believe a 1964 model. 1578282909270.png

Joe Pitz

Registered
Registered
Hi Mike, I have a sliding head that mounts on top of the ways. After cleaning I have now mounted the head back on the mill. I believe my mill is a 1954 based on the serial number. The restore is going good, almost ready for paint.

Cheers
Joe

FOMOGO

Active User
Took a look at the manual John posted above. Must have been after my bed time, as I was looking at "F" the ram clamping bolt, and thinking it was some how part of the spindle. Looks like your doing a very thorough job on the rehab, and look forward to seeing it all back together. I think you will find the powered knee a very nice alternative to handle cranking. Mike

Joe Pitz

Registered
Registered
Several new videos are out on my YouTube Page:

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock