Got an old Rong-Fu RF-20 mill that the vertical handwheel does not work on.

Speedly

Registered
Registered
Hey, all!

I inherited a Rong-Fu mill from my grandfather, and the quill works, but the Z hand wheel just spins and doesn't do anything.

"Go find a manual," you might say! And I totally did! I scrolled down to Page 8 where it says how to engage the vertical adjustment. But here's the thing - the English is just broken enough to where I can't seem to figure out exactly what they're telling me to do.

Can someone translate, please? I'm sure it's something super simple, but I can't wrap my empty head around it!

Thanks in advance!

Turn knob labeled knob in drawing clockwise until it stops. Brute force is not necessary. Less than hand tight is sufficient.

Attachments

• IMG_1233.jpeg
    IMG_1233.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 83
I just checked, and my RF-20 doesn’t have that knob.
I have seen a write-up (or video) of an RF-20/25 rebuild where the fine-control knob didn’t work, and when disassembled, the gearing was broken. You might want to pull it apart and look inside.

Turn knob labeled knob in drawing clockwise until it stops. Brute force is not necessary. Less than hand tight is sufficient.
Unfortunately, that knob just doesn't appear to exist on my mill. I'll post a picture later tonight to show what I mean.

I just checked, and my RF-20 doesn’t have that knob.
I have seen a write-up (or video) of an RF-20/25 rebuild where the fine-control knob didn’t work, and when disassembled, the gearing was broken. You might want to pull it apart and look inside.
Any chance you might have a link to that? If I need to go in, I'd like to be as prepared as possible first!

This is not what I saw, but it might help:
It’s referring to an RF-30, but the machines are very similar.

This might be the video.
He has a number of videos showing a pretty complete tear-down of the machine:

Back