Got an old Rong-Fu RF-20 mill that the vertical handwheel does not work on.

On my Enco RF 30 I some times have to rock the down feed wheel back and forth gently while turning the sleeve in order to get the teeth lined up.

The Nu-Way CF30 I had for a bit has the same knurled sleeve for the fine feed engagement too.
Was locked solid when I got it, but a lot of penetrating oil and a touch of force freed things up.

IMG_20230528_201603.jpgIMG_20230528_201620.jpgIMG_20230528_201636.jpg

Thanks to all for your help!

Update time: I dove in after getting home from work tonight. Getting it fixed was remarkably easier than I'd anticipated. The sleeve is indeed a push-pull, and not threaded, for what it's worth.

The two hex screws that thread into the mill's body come right out. I locked the quill and popped free the center screw where the quill handle/wheel is. It took a little bit of persuading once the handle and keys came out, but I managed to back the sleeve off of the shaft. I then took some brake cleaner, a brass brush, a paper towel, and then a bit of 600 grit to clean both the sleeve and the shaft. Reassembled easily, and I now have fine-feed back.

Again, my gratitude goes out to everyone who helped!

I think that having a geared connection would be more accurate and consistent then the friction connection on mine once you take up any backlash. On mine one full turn of the vertical handwheel is supposed to move the quill by .090 but the actual movement is around .085 and is never the same. The handwheels for the x and y on my table are spot on at .125 for a full turn of the handwheels.

Great job on getting that fixed.

A thing to note regarding RF mills and their clones. There have been many private labeled clones over the years and many, if not most, of them have production changes which make them slightly different than the original. In my case, I have an RF30, labeled JP30, private labeled by Menards and which has a shorter table and slots which measure .592" in width, making them unsuitable for either 5/8" T nuts or or the 1.2" set that came with the mill.

No doubt, this also extends to other machines and their clones.

Back