Got it all back together!

coop

Registered
Registered
I used all the information on this forum to help me find a good South Bend 9" and then to refurbish it. Just wanted to say thank you all for such a great and informative forum!
After several months of looking, I bought a Model A several weeks ago. The lathe was in good shape overall but it had definitly been a long time since it had been torn down and cleaned. Using the information I found found on this forum, I was able to take the lathe apart, rebuild and repaint it.
The ways are in nice shape, the lathe has no broken teeth on the gears, the half nuts are in good shape and I discovered that it also has segmented spindle bearings. I repainted the lathe Massey Ferguson grey and gloss black because the original coats of paint were in poor shape.
Here is the a picture of the lathe as I bought it:
southbendmorgantown.jpg

And here it is today:
IMAG0300.jpg

Thanks again for such a great forum!
-Coop-

:) ;0 Now That's a pretty piece of work :)

Nice job, good looking lathe ! I like your color combination, it looks good !

~Chris

Nice rebuild on that one, almost to pretty to use! ;0

Paul

Coop,
Nice job, but now lets see some chips on it and some oil.
Paul

Nice job.

I just got a 10k and have been working on the cabinet. Was tinkering with the idea of breabing the lathe completely down, but have a lot of questions.

Will I need any special tools to dismantle / reassemble?

You mentioned you followed the advice on this forum. Are there any specific threads that outline the steps or did you just ask questions as you went along.

I have not been able to find any decent drawings on the lathe. Any ideas?

What I have now is a pretty good machine. I want to make sure that I don't do any damage.

Thanks.

Back