Grabbing on the inside

I just remembered two more (related) benefits of holding parts on their ID this way:
  1. Far less wasted stock (compared to parting the completed part off the remaining stock held in a 3-jaw).
  2. Far more opportunities to use a short piece of scrap in your pile to make something useful.
Since I rarely make parts out of anything too expensive, and I almost never make more than one of anything, #1 isn't that important to me.

#2, though. Boy howdy. It breaks my heart every time I throw away a piece of scrap. That led directly to my scrap bin taking up appreciable cubic footage in my shop. The pile is shrinking since introducing this system, though.

Here is a part that I made out of inconel . I held the part on an Id collet holding on the bore. Inconel is a very tough mat to run and I traced the cut on the front and back of the part. I put a pin thru end of Id collet as the cut was interrupted to keep part from spinning on the Id collet.
Jim Sehr1603155912822.jpeg

Here is a part that I made out of inconel.

Interesting part. What does it go to?

I don't think I've ever cut anything harder than stainless or annealed tool steel, much less with an interrupted cut.

Rex
It was one end of a linkage. Two ends were used and an Inconel tube was welded between them.
Inconel maintains tensile strength at Temperatures that would render plain steel pliable.
Rockets and the like.

Inconel is tough but pure stellite is hard. I had to buy carbide files to break edges on stellite.

Jim Sehr

Rockets and the like.

Okay, that's pretty cool.

I'm trying to imagine using a carbide file. All I see is me dropping it on first use and watching it shatter into twenty different pieces.

Back