Grandpa's old 16" gap

63redtudor

Registered
Registered
So, it looks like I am going to inherit another machine from my grandfather. I now have more information on this old lathe:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/old-sb-maybe-atw-lathe-s.71999/

Just to recap, this is grandpa's 'big' lathe that I remember as a teenager. I always understood that it was an American Tool Works, but as it turns out it is an early South Bend. At the time my dad had only a quick look at it, now I have a bit more information. Unfortunately he and my uncle forgot to take a camera (grr), but they did get the correct s/n and model number. The s/n is 10120 (might be 19120) and the model number is 140E, 16" gap-bed. This puts the lathe at about 1916 (1919 if its a '9', not a '0'), so its a fairly early machine. Sounds like there is a bit of tooling, a couple of chucks and a stack of change gears. Even when I do get some pictures, they will be hampered by the fact that it is in the back of a full storage unit with little or no lighting. My hope is that within the next few months I'll be able to go out there and get the thing.
One thing I am curious about is what would be a "complete set" of change gears for this model, would gears from a later lathe work (off e-bay, etc.)? Does anyone have a set of metric transposing gears or know where to get them? Has anyone adapted a QCGB to one of these older machines? I've been trying to find literature for these older machines and it seems to be mostly miss and a little hit. I do know that some mods were done to the lathe (even before grandpa got it), so I don't know if that could change anything.
While I don't have any pictures, I did find (on Vintage Machinery) the 1916 catalog and it had this picture:

Both my dad and uncle say that its a spitting image of the catalog picture, other than the homemade overhead countershaft and motor.

Attachments

• SB_16gap.pdf
    286.7 KB · Views: 46
Likely there is a good chance of change gears from another SB will fit. Coincidentally, I just saw one locally that has quick change, and has a 12 ft. bed. It was a free for the taking deal, I told a friend about it, and it has a new home.

So, it looks like I am going to inherit another machine from my grandfather. I now have more information on this old lathe:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/old-sb-maybe-atw-lathe-s.71999/

Just to recap, this is grandpa's 'big' lathe that I remember as a teenager. I always understood that it was an American Tool Works, but as it turns out it is an early South Bend. At the time my dad had only a quick look at it, now I have a bit more information. Unfortunately he and my uncle forgot to take a camera (grr), but they did get the correct s/n and model number. The s/n is 10120 (might be 19120) and the model number is 140E, 16" gap-bed. This puts the lathe at about 1916 (1919 if its a '9', not a '0'), so its a fairly early machine. Sounds like there is a bit of tooling, a couple of chucks and a stack of change gears. Even when I do get some pictures, they will be hampered by the fact that it is in the back of a full storage unit with little or no lighting. My hope is that within the next few months I'll be able to go out there and get the thing.
One thing I am curious about is what would be a "complete set" of change gears for this model, would gears from a later lathe work (off e-bay, etc.)? Does anyone have a set of metric transposing gears or know where to get them? Has anyone adapted a QCGB to one of these older machines? I've been trying to find literature for these older machines and it seems to be mostly miss and a little hit. I do know that some mods were done to the lathe (even before grandpa got it), so I don't know if that could change anything.
While I don't have any pictures, I did find (on Vintage Machinery) the 1916 catalog and it had this picture:

Both my dad and uncle say that its a spitting image of the catalog picture, other than the homemade overhead countershaft and motor.
Hi son. Sorry about no pictures. First problem was your uncle's sister's refrigerator went kaput. So we had to spend a day to clear trees and brush around the old homestead to get her working frig. Then another day to get the frig cleaned up. That did not leave us much time. The other problem is that the storage shed where the lathe is at is darn hard to get to the machine since there is so much stuff in the way. Right now, we are working on getting that stuff moved. Mean while your uncle and I will help you this October to finish your new shop. PS. your uncles and I are impress on what you did on rebuilding your grandpa's Sheldon. And we agree that the Southbend needs a home and a companion lathe. See you next month. Dad

Ha!, No worries, its actually rather funny. Having helped with clearing out a few of those storage units of grandpa's.... well, he had a lot of 'treasures'. We'll get there, I'm just like a little kid thats going to get a new toy and can't wait!

Ha!, No worries, its actually rather funny. Having helped with clearing out a few of those storage units of grandpa's.... well, he had a lot of 'treasures'. We'll get there, I'm just like a little kid thats going to get a new toy and can't wait!
Yep, just like your dad, acting like a little kid. You cant't accuse me of being in my second childhood, never got out of my first! In the next few days your mother and uncle Dave and I are going to sort and move things so there is some type of order(I hope). Your mother will bring a camera. Dad

Back