Graphite

bug_hunter

Registered
Registered
Any insight on machining graphite? I would most likely be using a small horizontal mill.

Thanks,

Greg

Dust concerns I would think.

It eats cutters... I've machined carbon fiber same family. it dulls them quickly. Use carbide.
Use a hepa filter in the vac, nasty stuff.

Reconsidering the tool choice. I only need a 3/8 x 3/8 x 3/8 cut in two locations, then no more machining graphite. I have read that the dust is the biggest issue. Thoughts on the use of a abrasive disk in a Dremel? Most likely outdoors. No need for dust control, no damage to machinery (with the possible exception of the Dremel), no eating of cutters.

Thoughts?

Before I knew better, I sanded some carbon fiber that I had laminated into an RC airplane. I let my forearms get on the dust. OMG! Made me want to rub fiberglass cloth on my arms to get rid of the itching. Carbon fiber/graphite dust is much worse than fiberglass dust.

I didn't have that reaction.. But every person is different.

as far as doing it outside, if you have pets, beware, you may be fine, but they are on the ground. Dogs especially like to sniff..

Before I knew better, I sanded some carbon fiber that I had laminated into an RC airplane. I let my forearms get on the dust. OMG! Made me want to rub fiberglass cloth on my arms to get rid of the itching. Carbon fiber/graphite dust is much worse than fiberglass dust.
Maybe a slight allergy.

Make a paper dam around the vise / part to catch the powder. After machining is finished , roll up the paper and discard. Don't blow air ! Use a brush and a cloth to clean up. Coolant can damage the material, machine dry. I use alumium tape to reduce de-laming on holes. Acts like a back up material keep de- laming to a minimum. Dagger drills are best for carbon fiber RTM. If you see alot of resin in the material, it's a good day. If it's dry / not much resin in the material de- laming cracking can be a problem. Not fun to work with so charge accordingly. N95 mask minimum for dust. Wish you luck !

Back