Grease For Startrite H175 Gear Box

projectnut

Registered
Registered
I posted this request on another board a couple days ago, but still haven't gotten any responses. I realize these aren't the most popular saws in the US, but was hoping someone either has one, or knows someone that has one, and could answer my question.

I have had an older (1980) Startrite H175W bandsaw in the shop for over 20 years. Recently I started seeing spots of oil on the floor under the gearbox. Yesterday I removed the band wheel and noticed grease oozing past the seal. Eventually the oil will separate from the grease, run down the gear box and drip on the floor.

In all about a tablespoon of grease was on the outside of the box between the seal and the band wheel. About half a teaspoon or less of oil had separated and dripped onto the floor. The seal and o ring are relatively easy to replace, but I have no idea of what type or amount of grease should be added. In addition, there is no port to add grease. The manual says, "The main drive gearbox is grease sealed for life and should not require further maintenance".

Does anyone know what type of grease should be used for this application, and if there's a recommended way to replace it? I have already contacted Clausing "technical support" in Kalamazoo Michigan and couldn't get an answer as to the volume of grease needed. They did recommend Mobil EP1 or equivalent. It's a petroleum based NGL1 grease with a lithium thickener.

Any farm dealer will have Corn Head grease which is NGL1 in tubes. I use it. It stays put and has the consistency of room temperature butter. I am not sue how big the gearbox is on the Startrite? Maybe when you change the seals give it a couple pumps and make sure all the gears are coated before re installing the seal. You don’t want too much grease or it will find its way out again.
Martin

Thanks for the input. I checked all the local farm stores and the best they can do is NGLI 1 1/2. I think that’s going to Be a bit stiff for this application. I did find Mobil EP at McMaster. The price was almost the same as the other grade from the farm stores. The total cost of the grease grease gun and shipping were within a few pennies.

Back