Greasing Emco milling head

bfk

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Having scraped and chiseled(!) most of the vintage grease out of the lathe, I nervously opened the milling head. The grease looks clean and, for lack of a better word, greasy. I think the unit was mostly used for drilling and a little mill work for many years, so maybe they greased it sometime this millennium. Unlike the lathe.
I have three questions.
How much grease should there be in there?
Do I use the same grease that mikey recommended earlier for the lathe?
Should I replace what's there, and if so how do I get the old grease out?

Cheers,
Brian

markba633csi

Registered
Registered
I believe the Emco FB2 mill head used oil, your Maximat 7 is an early predecessor to that
Mark
ps actually the earlier machines may have used grease- you should hang out on the Yahoo group, someone there should know
If it looks clean (no noticeable metal particles) I would leave it alone and button it back up

Last edited:

bfk

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Guess I should have mentioned that. It's a Maximat7. Definitely grease in the head. It's added by removing side plates.

Brian

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock