Great scam

I think I saw the same type of thing a short while ago in my area. Supposedly a woman, just divorced, selling a compact tractor, loader, backhoe for something like $800. Yep try it out while we cash your check. Ha.

I like vtcnc's response: Scam-a-licious!

Best Regards,
Bob

I see a LOT of expensive trailers listed on c-list in the Atlanta area... and they are always priced at $800... livestock trailers, enclosed trailers, equipment trailers...

I've been wondering what is the significance of the $800 asking price... there are too many of them priced at exactly $800 to be coincidental.

Maybe they are all listed by the same scammer... IDK.

-Bear

Edit: and a lot of them say they 'run great'... lol!

Maybe it's a price line on a type of crime it is considered if caught.

Maybe it's a price line on a type of crime it is considered if caught.

I've thought about that, but these type of crimes are rarely ever prosecuted, if ever...

-Bear

This one may have been a scam, but cheap trailers do exist. I bought the one in the pictures below for $100.00. It was built by a local construction company to haul an 8,500 lb. Bobcat. The bed is 10' long, it has 2-5,500 lb. Dexter axles with electric brakes, a set of ramps, and a spare tire. If you look closely you can see the sides of the box are in stake pockets I added. There is also a set of ramps in the garage.

I've had it over 14 years and have put on the bed and stake pockets, new tires, new brake shoes, replaced the fenders, and lights. In total I have less than $1,000.00 in it.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 14
My parents almost got caught in the middle of a CL housing scam.
My parents were selling their house so of course there were lots of pics and info on the realtors website. Some scammer used all the realtor info to create a house for rent ad. We found out about it when a person from California (we are in Wisconsin) had some additional questions and was able to get a phone number from the address. The house was on the market for around $250K, The scammer had it listed as ready to rent at $1100 per month, required first month down and a 2 month security deposit. In this area $1000/M will get you a one bedroom apartment not a big 3 bed ranch. They even went as far as to create an email account using my fathers first and last name at yahoo.con to make it look more real if someone looked up the name of the house owner.
The police said it is a common scam and usually the first anyone knows of it is when a moving van pulls up in front of the house with a family that just loaded up and traveled across the county to their new home, and now has no place to go, a moving truck full of all their stuff and no place to go and all the money they sent to the scammer and paid the movers is gone. We had everyone we know flood CL with scam alerts before they would take down the ads. CL needs a certain number of scam reports before they will do anything. We found that same add running in 11 different cities around the country.

I hate scammers and always give them as much grief as I can. I figure that while they are spending time with me they are not ripping off someone that does not know better.

my friends always get scam calls so we go and mess with the scammers the one time we said hold on and went outside for 15 minutes came back in and they where still waiting! other times we just yell random stuff until they hang up it works very well I always mess with them because my time is just as important as theirs.

I had a weird one where someone advertised a free kids bike on CL. My eldest is out growing hers, so I sent an email or text. Didn't hear anything for a few weeks so figured it had gone. Then I get a text asking if I was still interested, sure I said. Then an avalanche of texts asking if I was there, when was I coming to get it and finally, I had to fill out some online form to prove that I was a real person! You'll find out a real person when I'm on your doorstep with my daughter! Smelled of scam but for the life of me I couldn't figure out the angle - what could the scammer get out of this other than it being some kind of elaborate suspicious phishing scheme?

Back