Great score

MarkM

Registered
Registered
Well I took a trip out to Northern Manitoba to visit a friend I haven t seen in almost ten years. I mention I am putting a machine shop together and sold my two motorcycles. He then says to me" Some twenty years ago my father gave me a tool box and I haven t touched it, you can have anything you find useful". His father is a retired tool and die machinist that learned his craft in Germany and moved to Canada not long after he had his ticket.
Well low and behold I couldn t believe my fortune. Twenty five pounds of goods. Everything is top shelf. Either American, German , or From England. They are all sharp. Some regrinds on the end mills. Flutes and all and whats in a package is still to size. There has to be easy a few thousand dollars here and some of his ground tools as well. Crafty, take a look at the grind on that smallish boring bar. Shank relieved, rake and just a great job on some round hss.
It could not come at a better time. Ready to buy a mill. I have pretty well made up my mind but have a trip to Toronto in July and want to spend a couple days looking at some used mills. I live in a small town and nothing around my home.
Whats on the table is a little less than half the box it came in.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Congratulations!

Ya I'd say! Forty Six dollars for shipping. I asked my friend to call his father and let him know he was giving them to me as he had no idea what it is and his father thought it was another box he gave him and described some of the stuff like his own made toolmakers vise and some grinding fixtures. My friend said he d send that once he finds it.

fwiw years back a few years a customer (retired navy captain) gave me a ww2 era machinist tool box (metal box, wood drawers). had some interesting stuff. odd size taps too. had an indicator that was lever actuated - for a better term

A sat down after dinner tonight and took a good look at the tools. Not so much what I had but the crafty work done to alot of the tooling. The end mills and drills all have there flutes ground. Some of the taps ground to,push the chips forward, for maybe tubing. The web on the drills are done ever so accurately and come to a fine point. Some of the boring tools are again done ever so nice. I have always admired and given these oldtimers the utmost respect and payed attention when I had a chance to learn something from them. Is it a trade where technology is too far advanced and were Forgetting about how we got to the answer and all we care about is the answer? I myself feel there is still a great need for these types of machinist. They can solve problems on there own merit without the aid of a computer cad or whatever else will be there tomorrow. True Craftsman!

Back