Great story about learning from an old machinist!

Yea I enjoyed it but it seemed to just end. You could almost see and smell the old shop. I happen to enjoy that burnt and fresh oil smell. It's like race fuel and rubber at the race track

Hat's off to the writer.... very well written story and just long enough to get you hooked, and just short enough to want for more... :)

Brian

Thanks for posting thoroughly enjoyed the story

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for posting thoroughly enjoyed the story

Very good it was nice to read how others were treated. My first job as a machinist the owner post want ad that needed 5-8 years in the trade, we made a deal if he was not happy with me and my work I'd leave after two weeks. The Forman came to me after the first week to tell me your hired, I learned a lot in that job shop and have no regrets.

Todd

I really wish that I'd had the opportunity to apprentice in a shop somewhere, I could have learned a lot more much faster than doing it on my own. Learning from a crusty old guy might have been kind of fun. Today, I am that crusty old guy trying to pass my knowledge to the kids.

That, I must say, is one of the best stories I've read in quite some time. I loved the soup test! I have often 'tested' the new guys too, but not in the same way, just to see what they are made of. But I must admit that the 'soup test' is a one of a kind.

Kudos to the author!

Great story. I was fortunate to spend a few months learning from an old crusty toolmaker when I was all of 17, he hated pretty much everyone in the shop but for whatever reason he decided I was OK. Chester I think his name was, I still think of him when setting up stuff in the mill on occasion. Wish I'd gotten to learn more from him but that was a summer job, my first making chips and I still had one more year of high school.

Back