Green mill

blackelim

Registered
Registered
I am a new member here and I just drug home a Clausing 8520 mill that I could use some help with.
My mill has a very "cool" all thread draw bar I need to replace A.S.A.P. I tried to search the web and internet and it seems there might be 2 different types of drawbars. One is back turn to release and the other is strike to release, I would like to make a back turn to realease but I can find a picture or drawing of how it works. Can someone post a picture so I can make one? Maybe a quick discription on how it works?
It is and original 3 phase motor so I need to make a decision on change the motor or inverter drive it, I have read most posts about this but am still undecided. So a quick positive and negitive review might help. If I buy a new single phase motor should I get one with a capacitor start? What size would be recommended?
I need new belts, is the correct size 22" and 48?
Sorry for the shotgun volume of questions,
Thanks

Welcome to the crew. Good bunch of questions. First, the drawbar. I don't have a turn-to-release type, but it seems to me they can only work if the releasing nut can push up against something immovable. As far as an easy freplacement, i made one for my Victoria U2 mill out of a piece of Grade 8 threaded rod. I drilled and pinned the top nut to turn the drawbar.

I have two machines running off a VFD. I love it. Really good speed control. I also had to buy a single-phase 3 HP motor for the Victoria. Cost about $15 more than I paid for the mill ... really.

Hope this helps.

I have a Clausing 8520 but it's drawbar is not original. In its place was a long 3/8" hex head cap screw. It works just fine, but it is the smack it to release type. I am not sure how the back off to release type worked, but I wish I knew for sure also as I would consider making that type.

My mill has a 110/220V single phase motor on it, currently wired for 110V operation. It works just fine, though I can see where having a three phase motor on it and a VFD would be ideal. As for belt size, I will have to do some digging for that answer, but be aware that the belt size can change with the motor used, depending on it's physical size and mounting. My mill originally had a 1/2 HP motor on it, but has a 1 HP motor on it now. Plenty of power that way.

Welcome aboard, by the way.

I am a new member here and I just drug home a Clausing 8520 mill that I could use some help with.
My mill has a very "cool" all thread draw bar I need to replace A.S.A.P. I tried to search the web and internet and it seems there might be 2 different types of drawbars. One is back turn to release and the other is strike to release, I would like to make a back turn to realease but I can find a picture or drawing of how it works. Can someone post a picture so I can make one? Maybe a quick discription on how it works?
It is and original 3 phase motor so I need to make a decision on change the motor or inverter drive it, I have read most posts about this but am still undecided. So a quick positive and negitive review might help. If I buy a new single phase motor should I get one with a capacitor start? What size would be recommended?
I need new belts, is the correct size 22" and 48?
Sorry for the shotgun volume of questions,
Thanks

I found this manuel during a Google search, http://wentztech.com/WebDisk/Metalworking/Clausing/Clausing 8520 Instructions Parts.pdf

if you have a few bucks to spend, get the link type belt. the vibrations will drop to near zero. they are a bit more expensive than good quality industrial ones but in my humble opinion they are well worth it. . . . .

I think I will try the VFD and see how it runs.
I have the link belt on my band saw so I think I will try some on the mill also, kind of takes care of the belt lenght question.
How about how old is the machine? The serial number is 002728.

Here's a picture of the green Clausing I bought. It needs some work and it didn't come with much tooling but it seems to be a good start.
I had a permanent magnet D.C. motor and control that I mounted to get it under power, I still have to complete the drive connections.

photo-180.jpg

photo-180.jpg

I see that someone adapted a power feed to the table on your machine, something that I have been wanting to do, but haven't had the nerve to spend the money and take a chance that it may or may not work. If you ever get to taking that portion of the machine apart, it would really be nice to have photos!!

I see that someone adapted a power feed to the table on your machine, something that I have been wanting to do, but haven't had the nerve to spend the money and take a chance that it may or may not work. If you ever get to taking that portion of the machine apart, it would really be nice to have photos!!

I will be taking apart as it ether needs the pinion gap shimmed or a new set of gears. The gears run a little noisy. When I do I will take some pictures for you.

That would be wonderful!! I much prefer the standard type of power feed such as you have on yours, but did not know if one could be adapted properly to this type of mill. I looked at the ones that are designed for mill/drill machines, but don't care for losing the handwheel on that end. Using the type that is designed for the Bridgeports is a better option in my book, but mounting might be an issue, thus the desire to see how yours is done.

Back