[How-To] Green Mini Lathe

Randyryang

Registered
Registered
Not sure if this is the correct category for this question. But, can anyone help my identify the make and model of my lathe? Pretty sure its a 7x10 by the bed length. I need to order some parts but I have no idea what brand it is. I have been told its an old Sieg. But the HF models look like an exact match also. I would also like some tips on upgrading the motor and or speed control. I have made repairs to the existing speed control box. But I still have no speed control. I do not have a full picture of it on my phone, I will post one here as soon as I get back home this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start with littlemachineshop.com. They have all kinds of parts for Sieg family lathes.

I would suggest you post some pictures of your lathe, especially with any pictures of the labelled plates on it. Include a picture of the backside.

Last edited:
the OEM boards were less than stellar.
considerations may be made to retrofit a stronger mainboard like an MC40, MC60, KBC etc.

IMG_1991.jpg

the lathe is a central machinery 7x10, i owned one many moons ago.

if you are gonna go to the trouble of retrofitting power plants and control system,
i would consider a 1/4 to 1/2 HP 3 phase motor and VFD
but you could very well use the stock motor and upgrade the controls as mentioned earlier

a simple PWM board could be used in place of the OEM control like these:

PS. I like the special tool sitting on the bench behind the lathe! :grin:

99.99% that it is HF 93212. I have one circa 1999. They were green back then. I bought all the parts for it from Grizzly.
Any special parts for it like metal headstock gears I bought from LMS.

Thanks for all of the tips, this helps a ton! Wouldn’t I need a brushless DC motor to use a PWM controller? Definitely needs more power for sure. I have already purchased and installed a new metal gear set in the head stock from LMS.

Upgrading motor and PWM controller will put you on a slippery slope of making a 7x into what it will never be.
I put a lot of effort and money to improve my 7x12 torque, upgrading to a better toothed belt and matching gears. Don't be fooled by it swing size.
One stall while cutting a large stock, especially on a faceplate when the tool digs in and you are looking for a new controller. You have metal headstock gears so the only thing now that protects your controller is a fuse. I went down to 2amps fuse and I keep a good supply of them, but even that doesn't guarantee that your controller will be safe.
The money that I spend on my 7x12 would pay for half of my new 9x20 lathe that I eventually bought. I still use my 7x12, but not for any work that might kill it.

Back