[How-To] Green Mini Lathe

All of this scary talk of controllers is fun, but I did notice the spindle for the tailstock appears to be missing. Is it set to the side somewhere, or did it arrive that way? The same is true of the feed screw shaft and end bearings. There seems something off with the half-nut lever as well.

If you are strongly driven to replace your motor, skip the whole PWM/DC motor game, and go with a Brushless Controller and motor. The new Brushless controllers are super fault tolerant and largely self protecting. Something similar to what the LMS 5100 or 7350 currently enjoy. If you find the bed on your lathe too short, LMS also sells a 16 inch bed, which should allow you to bolt all the other parts to it.

Not exactly sure what you mean by spindle, I have the tailstock and I have ordered a #2MT drill chuck for it. As for the feed screw shaft and bearing I have that I just did not re install it. I was at a “lets just get it working first” point before we think of doing any fancy threading or auto feeding. What are you calling the half nut lever? I have definitely been looking into the brushless Dc motor and controller options for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did notice the spindle for the tailstock appears to be missing. Is it set to the side somewhere, or did it arrive that way? The same is true of the feed screw shaft and end bearings.
Here's what the tailstock spindle looks like (on a 9" lathe). It's what "holds" the drill chuck, and is advanced with the handwheel on the right end:
kHPIM2578.jpg

kHPIM2931.jpg

Looking at the photo of your lathe (below), it appears there's no spindle in the tailstock (red arrow):
Green lathe.jpg

The yellow arrows point to the hole (left side) where the feed screw should exit the head. The arrow on the right shows where the end bearing would normally be mounted. As @addertooth pointed out, both the tailstock spindle and the feed screw appear to be missing.

Yeah its in there. Just had it retracted all the way in. The screw feed is sitting over in the corner, I will re install it later on. Im just getting my feet wet. I turned some aluminum tubing today. I must say the machining bug has officially bitten me!! Im hooked now!
4aa4f14aaee8d899a6cc12fd09657712.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeeeeee-Haaaa! Glad to hear the good news. You had at least to of us worried for a while. Enjoy the disease! It's a LOT more pleasant than a bunch of others we could all name :)

I have the same green machine with lots of upgrades (serial number 184 or so). I've had tons of fun with it over the years and still use it for small stuff over my 13x40. They were machined with stone tools so be patient and learn how to work within it's limitations.

Back