Grinding vise right of passage

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Ended up getting a nice precision vise to with my other one. I bought this because it doesn’t have the pin you have to remove to adjust the jaw it has the spring loaded screw assy. a lot nicer in my opinion. Thought I got it for a good deal for 30 bucks and the funny thing was they had a pin one go for 75. So I go and pick up my goodies and come to find out its a Herman Schmidt. The auction number sticker was covering the stamp. So like ever grinding vise I see it has a scar or two on them. My question is it a right of passage or some initiation thing for a vise to creep the wheel in on a .100 cut into the top of the hard jaw? Or do they just forget about adjusting the height of the wheel? If I paid for a Herman Schmidt vises and someone ran the wheel into it they’ed have lost their job or have a real good excuse. She’s got some scars but feels good.

Hi, I have the same one that I picked up a while ago. They are great. As far as the scars go, things happen and it shows it's been used. I ride horses and my saddle has a few scars of its own. It shows that I using it and having fun.

Here is another example of the RITE of passage; I bought this vise and some other precision tools from a retired Detroit tool maker from the 1920s, Frank R. Way, he said that the vise would grind any part exactly squarely as the grinder could grind; all the surfaces are lapped for accuracy; imagine how he felt when that nick happened! Bottom line, **** happens ---- I bought these tools back in the 1960s from an ad in the Machinist's Monthly Journal, a publication by the IAM, the machinist's union.287172287173287174

They are called " witness marks " for those not in the trade . :grin:

Ended up getting a nice precision vise to with my other one. I bought this because it doesn’t have the pin you have to remove to adjust the jaw it has the spring loaded screw assy. a lot nicer in my opinion. Thought I got it for a good deal for 30 bucks and the funny thing was they had a pin one go for 75. So I go and pick up my goodies and come to find out its a Herman Schmidt. The auction number sticker was covering the stamp. So like ever grinding vise I see it has a scar or two on them. My question is it a right of passage or some initiation thing for a vise to creep the wheel in on a .100 cut into the top of the hard jaw? Or do they just forget about adjusting the height of the wheel? If I paid for a Herman Schmidt vises and someone ran the wheel into it they’ed have lost their job or have a real good excuse. She’s got some scars but feels good.
View attachment 287168View attachment 287169

Someone needs to come out with a vise that has a .100 shorter hard jaw!.... problem solved!

Nicks are purely cosmetic. Comes with expectation being paid for a days work. Staying late, too much turn over, missing breaks; boils down to a minute loss of focus.
But the more usual cause is who didn't pay for it.
Working at home is a little less pressure.

My personal visas don't have witness marks but my work vises have a few...

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk

The first, witness mark I put in my new Kurt will be a day to remember. So far so good.

Back