Grizzly 4003G Wall clearance question. Why 2' behind the lathe?

No reason why the G4003G can't go up against a back wall but a few thoughts. First check your floor, is it level up near the wall? In my new construction house garage they slope the floor towards the garage doors, its not small amount of slope its several inches and so if you were putting the lathe on a side wall that would present some problems. There also seems to be a bit of an upwards slope towards the wall a few inches out from the wall.

Next prep the lathe before positioning it against the wall...you may want to put something oil/muck proof up on the wall to protect it she will fling stuff even with the backsplash. Check that the motor is aligned level, mine was not and others have had the same issue. Also my motor pulley was not aligned vertical with the spindle pulley. While I was at it I replaced both the China belts with USA belts I got from Napa. These are a common size and not expensive, Napa had them in stock. They have a fancy variable cog design with narrow, medium, wide cogs...meh it can't hurt. I recommend you do this before you put the backsplash on its easier. I had taken mine off to install the DRO. Here's the belt info.

la1.jpg

la2.jpg

Here you see with the back up against a wall there's still some storage space below the chip pan.

la3.jpg

Here's a side view, the backsplash and electrical box still out 5.5 inches farther than the chip pan and it sticks out farther than the stand so there's probably 8 inches back there.
la4.jpg

Here's another shot slightly off angle

la5.jpg

Check/tighten this knob mine was loose and fell off.

la6.jpg

la1.jpg la2.jpg la3.jpg la4.jpg la5.jpg la6.jpg

Back