Grizzly 8x16 lathe vs eBay 8x16

Sounds like you have your idea. I personally wouldn't do it, but since it's what you want, then you should buy the Ebay machine.

Yeah - it is a struggle between my cheap self and my "make it easier" self.

Well I finally bought one. The Ebay sellers would not allow me to pick up at their warehouse so I kept looking. I found that DROPros sells lathes and there are here in CA and actually answer phones, so I called them. Todd there at DROPros indicated that with the import tariffs and huge spike in shipping they won't see more lathes for at least six months. PM is out of stock as well.

Seeing that it is my first lathe I want to dip my toes into the hobby first before I shell out big bucks and wait months (at least). The Grizzly 8x16 seemed underpowered to me, so I decided to get one of the MX-210V models. However, in order to give myself a small chance of redress should things go poorly, I bought it off Amazon from a reseller that is located about 75 miles from me (at least that is what they show on Amazon). Amazon does have a return policy so I figured if worse comes to worse I can just load it up and drive it to their doorstep for the return. I have actually sent them a message to see if I can pick it up as well.

Anyway, the model this seller was selling has a brushless 1.5HP motor on the 8x16 and offered a four jaw chuck and a bunch of accessories. I am fully prepared for this 4 jaw chuck to be one with a scroll which kind of baffles me, so should that be the case I will buy another one online.

Should things improve in the import market and should I find that I need more, this one will go onto Craigslist and I will upgrade. I did that with a telescope mount a few years ago. I bought the cheaper version, learned how to use it, and once I got to the point where the mount was the problem rather than my skill set, I sold it through an astronomy classified website for about 70% of what I paid for it. I then bought the $2500 mount rather than the $800 mount. Actually, now I am outgrowing that mount but the next step up is quite steep so that will have to wait.

Sounds like you have a good grip on where you want to start and what to expect. Just don't be surprised when you look on Craigslist next week and a nice used machine is there ;)

The main thing is you realize your skills are the most important factor in getting the results you want. That and knowing you have a community here that will always be willing to jump in and help.

Cheers,

John

You hit it on the head there John - in my 57 spins around the sun I have delved into more things than I probably should have but have generally used a stepwise approach. For astrophotography we all congregate on a site called Cloudy Nights and the collective knowledge that is shared there is invaluable. I see a very similar thing here on Hobby Machinist.

In case anyone is interested, here is some of my work from one of my other hobbies.

https://www.astrobin.com/users/IamTomzo/

The machining hobby is actually a spin off from that as I am always needing special adapters and the like. I have an idea for a type of focuser with a linear encoder that just isn't on the market and the lathe is the first step towards making the one that is rolling around in my brain come to life - or fail in the effort which is also OK.

Tom

Mind sharing the link to the one you bought from Amazon?

I got the last one - and it came with a $100 off coupon. There is not much of the normal cut and paste description in the ad, but most of that is nonsense anyway. The "seller" being "local" was a significant consideration, but the 1.5HP brushless motor was also a big factor. From what I have cleaned from various posts here on HM, parting can be an issue when you get to low RPMs on these little lathes. The BLDC motors are supposed to have better low end torque, but we shall see...

Looks like that you've done well, Tomzo. My mill has a brushless DC motor, MY lathe standard induction with the changing the speed with pulleys and belt. The latter works just fine. But the brushless DC sure is nice and it has a tendency to spoil you. One of these days I'd like to replace the motor on the lathe with the DC. I'd still keep the belt, just won't need to change as often.

Very cool. That is where I was at about a year ago when I started looking... I think that I still have it on my eBay wishlist...

Somehow, I let the folks here brainwashed me into getting a PM1236... Now I wait for its delivery :D

Do share your experience once you get it.

Oh, and loved the photos shared on that link. Awesome photos!

I certainly will share the experience - I predict I will need lots of advice. The whole waiting for the PM machine would test my patience just a bit too much, so I took the leap.

I live not to far from Dave M who does hobby machining YouTube videos from his garage - I actually bought a QCTP from him a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps we will document it for one of his videos.

Back