Grizzly G0709 On The Way!

Well I got the power cord hooked up in the electrical box, got some of the goo cleaned off and cleaned the head gearbox out. Used a magnetic pickup tool and got some metal filings. The gearbox on the bottom is full of oil and the apron also. Still haven't leveled or bolted it down yet. Checked the RO on the 3 jaw chuck and it's.0005!

I got mine a couple weeks ago, I like it.
Getting it on to the lift gate and down was a scary experience. Use 12 gauge wire and some ring connectors for the connections and follow the schematics matching the plug connection to the one in the lathe electric box it may save you some problems.

When you level it, stack some parallels on each side of the v on the bed since one v is higher that the other so it will be true. Use a machinest level. The more true it is the better it will cut.

I bought my oil off amazon and lever action pumps with hoses that fit into the fill hole so you just pump the handle to get it in. I took the top cover off the spindle box, it was easier plus I could inspect it at the same time. Draining the lower gearbox is the messiest part. Have Fun!

Yeah, that sure was annoying. My solution was just to buy an Aloris. Not a fan of the cheap piston style tool posts.
Agreed, another case of you get what you pay for. Aloris upgrades are on my list of good intentions.

Bruce

Ok. I've got a few questions. The base is perfectly level. The bedways are level lengthwise and are off .015-.020 front to back. Kept shimming till I got it level. I got it wired up. So what else do I need to do b4 break in ?

I went through and checked the chuck cams and screws, bolts, anything that could be loose. Pull the side cover make sure belts and gears are OK, proper clearance on the gears. Oil levels, mine had no oil in the top. Make sure the half nut is disengaged and check all gear settings according to the manual. Put the carriage in the middle in case some things engaged so it doesn't crash. Take tools or anything else off the top over the chuck so they can go over the side and hit the chuck and fly.
Test the foot brake too.

Last edited:
Back