[How do I?] Grizzly Mill, and Lathe 220V wiring

jarhead

Registered
Registered
Good morning,
I recently bought a Grizzly G9902 Mill (Bridgeport style) and a G750G gunsmith lathe.

I am a little perplexed about what gauge to run a circuit to each or both of them (shared). The previous owner has had them on a 30 AMP, 10 Gauge circuit, but they only call for a minimum of 15 AMP.

The Mill clearly has 14 gauge wiring at the forward/reverse power switch internals.

If I run a 220v, 20 AMP circuit to the machine will it be a problem with the wiring in the Mill getting hot, or overloaded so to speak? Will it possibly damage the mill since the 12 gauge wiring on the circuit is protected by a 20 AMP breaker?

Thanks, Joe

The specs are...

Mill specs
2 HP
Nominal Voltage ..............................
220V/240V Cycle..........................................................
60 Hz Phase ...........................................
Single-Phase Circuit Rating ......................................
15 Amps Plug/Receptacle .............................
NEMA 6-15

Lathe specs
2 HP
Nominal Voltage ......... 208V, 220V, 230V, 240V Cycle..........................................................60 Hz Phase....................................................
1-Phase Power Supply Circuit .........................
15 Amps Plug/Receptacle .............................
NEMA 6-15 Cord ........
“S”-Type, 3-Wire, 14 AWG, 300 VAC

Unless you plan to run both machines at the same time the 20 amp 12 gauge circuit should be OK for a run less than approx. 40 feet
-M

Last edited:
Thanks,
It won’t affect the 14 gauge in the mill?
No, you don't need to concern yourself with the machines wire gauge. Your mill isn't pulling any more amps than your standard house current which generally is 12 gauge. Only difference house outlet is one leg at 120V and 15amps and mill is using two legs 120V and 15amps each.

No, you don't need to concern yourself with the machines wire gauge. Your mill isn't pulling any more amps than your standard house current which generally is 12 gauge. Only difference house outlet is one leg at 120V and 15amps and mill is using two legs 120V and 15amps each.
Thanks

just wanted to report back I ran the 220 circuit. I used 12/3 I had on hand and both machines are working. I have some leveling and cleanup to get done now.

Back