Grizzly T10295 7-pc indexable tool set inserts - which ones?

cmv

Registered
Registered
http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-Piece-Indexable-Carbide-Set-5-8-/T10295

This set is vague about the inserts it uses. Grizzly sells sets of 7 assorted inserts but doesn't specify the grade of insert. Also, I'd prefer more of some, fewer of others because some of the tools get used a lot more than others, so buying an equal amount of each I'd have too many of some & not enough of another.

Typically their documentation is pretty good but not on these, so I'm unsure of what inserts to buy for this set. Specifically these 2 tools:
RH Threading (LW with JCL insert) - RH Threading tool, LW holder, JCL insert Cut-off/Grooving (QA with JCQ Insert) - Cut-off/Grooving tool, QA holder, JCQ insert

No idea what a JCL or JCQ insert is. Any help or direction where to find those inserts would be appreciated.

I turn 6061, 7075, 4140, 303, 304, 416, & 6AL4V. I found (by trial & error) which inserts work well for some other indexable tooling I have for the different materials & will need to do the same for these. The CCMT size is common to what I already have so I'm good there, but for the others I'll need to find what works best.

That Shars set looks identical other than the case. I have the 5/8 set & that link shows the insert flavors pretty nicely. I'm guessing the threading & parting tool inserts aren't a standard insert & something made just for these? Maybe my searching skills are too weak, but I'm not finding something similar at MSC, Grainger, Enco, etc. Guess I can get them from Shars site & hope they're good quality. I bought some of their QCTP holders & a boring bar and can't complain.

the set works fine ( for me ) , and I am turning cold rolled steel, have yet to try AU. Allready broke the parting tool ( still learning the what not to do on my lathe ), so I ordered another with replaceable inserts. I am happy with the quality, their website how ever is a bit of a pain to manuever around when looking for stuff. Having the catalog handy is easier I find and so I type in the part number and then a item comes up ready to add to the cart.

Personally, I have switched over to the M100DEX 1/2" shank insert holders. See www.kbctools.com page 291 for more info on them. They come in a variety of size shanks from 1/4" up to 5/8", but they all use the same size inserts within the series. (21.51). They have a four piece set for DCMT/DCGT inserts and a 7 piece set for CCMT/CCGT inserts.

The set you posted from Grizzly, I had a similar set in the 3/8 shank and found that the parting and threading inserts were a waste of time, but the other holders were OK. On the 9x28 Logan they handled themselves well, but on the 14x40, I was getting too much flex in the shanks, thus the switch to the M100DEX in 1/2"

For Aluminium, Plastics and Copper I get the best performance from the DCGT / CCGT inserts. Then for steels, I switch to DCMT/CCMT inserts.

Walter

Phil - how deep a cut can you make with that tool? Part of the trouble I'm having with parting tools in general is I'm playing around with a lot of 6AL4V TI. The only way I can cut a piece of stock is to part it - I don't have anything else that will cut Ti. Anything with larger than 1.5" diameter I have a hard time getting a small piece from the long piece of stock.

Hate to pay $100+ for a parting tool, but I think I need a good one. The BXA clamp-type one that came with my QCTP set is a frustrating POS. It will let the blade slip & then snap or else push back in the holder. The one that came with set did OK but doesn't have quite the reach to handle 1.75" stock.

That tool I linked to is like a standard CNC lathe cutoff tool normaly for 1 3/8" max dia. With the titanium on a manual lathe I'd probaly try a standard brazed carbide tipped blade style tool. What blade size, width & height, do you have on your standard parting holder? Can you post a link of the one you have? I may can find one and send you to try if you haven't already.

Back