Grooving : alternative to knurling

Forty Niner

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have not yet obtained a decent knurling tool for my small (Sherline and Taig) lathes. My project yesterday required a "knurled" head on a small brass screw I made.
Head diameter is 3/8". Using a little math I figured that 24 grooves on the outside diameter would work out fine.

Simple to do with the rotary table on my little mill. The setup was eyeballed to use the corner on the end of an end mill to cut the vee slots. Once around did it.

1595347682910.png

Threads are 10-24 for size reference.

While knurling would have been faster, I do like the looks, and it appears that you could get a better grip as this is deeper and coarser. I like it!

joe

I have not yet obtained a decent knurling tool for my small (Sherline and Taig) lathes. My project yesterday required a "knurled" head on a small brass screw I made.
Head diameter is 3/8". Using a little math I figured that 24 grooves on the outside diameter would work out fine.

Simple to do with the rotary table on my little mill. The setup was eyeballed to use the corner on the end of an end mill to cut the vee slots. Once around did it.

View attachment 331055

Wow, very nice! I've done the same thing for some knobs that I made, but nothing anywhere near that small. Turned out great.

Regards,

View attachment 331055

If there is a will...........

"Roughly" equivalent to a straight knurl. Lots of grip.
WP_20200713_14_48_10_Pro.jpg
I was considering doing exactly the same as the OP if the straight knurl didn't work out.

If you do not have a knurler consider making one of these.
I swear by it. (not at it)
Drawings are on the second page.

If you do not have a knurler consider making one of these.
I swear by it. (not at it)
Drawings are on the second page.
A Kant-Twist clamp mod might work out well on a Sherline also.

Back