Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

I forgot to mention I’m still looking for material to make the index plates from. I had some large diameter steel rounds but turns out the were about 4.5” not Atleast 5 we need.

If anybody has a source let me know.

Going to try to start the trunions tomorrow. Once I knock out one the rest will go quick

I forgot to mention I’m still looking for material to make the index plates from. I had some large diameter steel rounds but turns out the were about 4.5” not Atleast 5 we need.

If anybody has a source let me know.

Going to try to start the trunions tomorrow. Once I knock out one the rest will go quick

I have always found what I needed on eBay. The metal comes in a flat rate box, so the shipping is not expensive.

You will be buying cutoffs, so I don’t think you’ll spend too much money.

Example:

CC235E37-E7F5-4942-8FDA-B9B7145957AB.png

This guy can do custom cut circles at reasonable pricing. If we start with 1/4" plate and then machine it thinner (.200?) that should be fine.

Here's 20 pcs

Robert

a different tact.
A 1' x 4' plate of .25 thick A36 will work out to around 5.75 each, But you will need a 5.25 hole saw to chop out the blanks. Or you could band saw the blanks out of the sheet and then make them round in the lathe or mill.

That 20 pieces is an even better price and you get some left overs.

Hoping also when I hold the plates if they will warp? Depends how I hold them I guess. I want to try to find something 3/8 thick and 5.12” in diameter so I can hold the part and turn and face it. Then flip it and do the finish facing and drilling.

Another thought I had was to have the plates ground flat and then use the mill to put the holes in it rather than the lathe.

Not decided yet

Hoping also when I hold the plates if they will warp? Depends how I hold them I guess. I want to try to find something 3/8 thick and 5.12” in diameter so I can hold the part and turn and face it. Then flip it and do the finish facing and drilling.

Another thought I had was to have the plates ground flat and then use the mill to put the holes in it rather than the lathe.

Not decided yet
Too bad you don't have a cheap mag-chuck. You could magnet it down and mill from there.

Too bad you don't have a cheap mag-chuck. You could magnet it down and mill from there.

If the plates were ground flat a method I’ve used before is super glue.

I have a mag Chuck and a surface grinder just not setup well right now.

Why dont you get them plasma cut? You can get an undersize hole punched in the middle too!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back