Growing Pains on the Bridgeport

Also, plan your steps so you always have something to hold onto. Don’t machine away a side when you needed it later on in a machining operation using in a vise etc or to measure from.

Depending on what you are doing. Machining thin material can spring out of the vise, so caution.

And always put on your safety glasses and don’t wear long dangling cloths, please be safe…Dave

A piece came loose in the vice once, the 1/2” carbide end mill snapped and shot across the Shop and dented the wall.
Could of been real bad :eek 2:

The Journeyman I started with took his Apprenticeship in England in the 1920s and his words of wisdom were "Do not consider your self a Journeyman until you can get yourself out of whatever trouble you got yourself into. By yourself and not scraping the part.")
This has worked for me since 1959! Still get in trouble but still manage to get out also!

After sleeping on it, I have decided to lay a bead in the trough I cut too deep. I can easily remedy this screw up with the advice I have received. The other major lesson learned is to plan the machining better. I still need to drill and tap 3/4 left hand threads and 2, 1/2” holes"
I think it would have been better to do the drilling and tapping before the machining.
I also decided to purchase a vertical band saw, so much of this job could have easily been done with a band saw.

I have seen this elsewhere, but learned it in Paramedic school. "Experience is something you get, right after you needed it". Thanks for posting.

The Journeyman I started with took his Apprenticeship in England in the 1920s and his words of wisdom were "Do not consider your self a Journeyman until you can get yourself out of whatever trouble you got yourself into. By yourself and not scraping the part.")
This has worked for me since 1959! Still get in trouble but still manage to get out also!
==============================================

Sort of reminds me of a one frame cartoon I saw in a machine shop magazine, back in 1961. -- Two old machinists were walking down through the machine shop in a brand new building, that the company had moved to. One was saying to the other, that he liked it better at the old plant on the edge of the river. "If you made a mistake, you just through the part out the window and THAT was THAT"!!! ----- John

All Machinery is the same. It`s just a matter of making friends with it.

Mr. Waterloo... I heard something like this from my High School metal shop teacher --"All Machinery is the same. It`s just a matter of making friends with it. "
I miss Mr. Wade.

THAT'S GREAT. I JUST PRINTED IT AND i WILL POST IT ON THE PEG BOARD BEHIND MY MILL, NEXT TO THE LATHE.

Back