Guardian Drill Press Idler Pulley Problem

Did you ever get your pulley apart?
No. I'm at the point where I'm thinking that I'll have to bring it to a local shop and have them drill it out and then sleeve the hole. I'm a stubborn old Irishman (and frugal) and don't relish the idea of having to do that. I'll continue the Kroil treatment 'til it's gone, then off to the shop!

Sounds like the best option at this point. Makes you wonder how enough moisture got in there in the first place to rust
it up that badly. If you bore it out, it might be worth considering an oilite bronze bushing instead of a sleeve.

Sounds like the best option at this point. Makes you wonder how enough moisture got in there in the first place to rust
it up that badly. If you bore it out, it might be worth considering an oilite bronze bushing instead of a sleeve.
The previous owner had it set up in an unheated garage, for many years. I think we all know what happens to steel in an environment like that over time. Still, the machine was given to me, no charge, so if I need to spend a couple dollars (or hundred) I'm not complaining. The motor runs smoothly, the spindle/quill assembly has no run out, all in all a nice machine except for this problem.:oops:

Back