Gunsmithing and tool making bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys, but unless you have explicit permission to distribute this document, it is not permitted to link to it. From the cover page I learned that the document that is actually posted at that link is taken from a CD produced AND copyrighted by Harold Hoffman in 2000 AD, and no proof of permission to post the document in its entirety was evident. Therefore, it is my conclusion that the site that hosts the document is in violation of said copyright, and I will not allow links to it.

Last edited:
Tony, you have actually committed copyright infringement yourself by posting the copyrighted text from the article/book.

If your line of thought is the case, then no links should be posted anywhere on the net.
No links on Google or Bing etc.

Posting a link is not copyright infringement..posting the article in part or whole without the proper credits, IS .....but the link carries people to the article, book, etc.
I do not think the author of an article spent all the time writing and then does not want to share that info with others..I would think that was the purpose of writing the article/book to begin with.

So by deleting all "links" you shut the people out from learning any thing further from such writers.

I repeat..Do not post the article or book in part or whole.

I disagree, Goat Driver. My excerpt falls under Fair Use, and could be posted. But out of deference to you, I changed my post.

You should read up on copyright law. Posting copyrighted work even with credit does not satisfy the requirements of the law, unless specifically indicated by the author. This author compiled all of that for a CD, presumably for sale, and rarely would someone put a product they sell also in the Public Domain. So his motivation was not likely the betterment of man, but profit, hence the copyright in the first place. Yes, he wants to share this with everyone......that pays his price. No one else has a right to the information without his express permission.

I'll not argue or discuss this further. It is my sole prerogative to decide on deleting links to protect this site from possible litigation, and if I decide posting any link puts us in jeopardy, I will without hesitation delete it.

Do not compare this site to the Internet in general. There are links to many free and Public Domain documents on the Internet, of course. But this isn't one of them. Surely you recognize that there are thousands upon thousands of site that do not respect the law in general, so how is it you use the Internet to decide what is legal or moral, or proper on the issue of posting links to copyrighted documents for this site? You can't.

Last edited:
I disagree, Goat Driver. My excerpt falls under Fair Use, and could be posted. But out of deference to you, I changed my post.

You should read up on copyright law. Posting copyrighted work even with credit does not satisfy the requirements of the law, unless specifically indicated by the author. This author compiled all of that for a CD, presumably for sale, and rarely would someone put a product they sell also in the Public Domain. So his motivation was not likely the betterment of man, but profit, hence the copyright in the first place. Yes, he wants to share this with everyone......that pays his price. No one else has a right to the information without his express permission.

I'll not argue or discuss this further. It is my sole prerogative to decide on deleting links to protect this site from possible litigation, and if I decide posting any link puts us in jeopardy, I will without hesitation delete it.

Do not compare this site to the Internet in general. There are links to many free and Public Domain documents on the Internet, of course. But this isn't one of them. Surely you recognize that there are thousands upon thousands of site that do not respect the law in general, so how is it you use the Internet to decide what is legal or moral, or proper on the issue of posting links to copyrighted documents for this site? You can't.

Well....what will you do about all the photos that are copied and pasted here from Craigslist, ebay, etc about machines or parts for sale?

Do people have permission to post all of those?

What about this site using the trademarked names of equipment in the sub-forums, etc.?

If you are going to "go by the law" then make sure you do not disallow one and allow another.

Not trying to start any trouble, just a friendly reminder that if you are going to play that card then stay within the rules of the game.

just a quick example found here and there are many others:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/17718-Gun-Making-1860-style

Hardly an example. The work quoted was written in 1886. Not covered by CR.

End of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back