BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
My son is a physics major and wanted a Gyroscope for Christmas. I merged a couple of designs from Clickspring to create a bench top style Gyroscope that he could easily power up to speed with a cordless rotary tool. This required a shaft that extended beyond the outer ring to apply power and meant using ceramic roller ball bearings instead of the cone style bearings traditionally used in toy gyroscopes.

I know this video is extra long. My son is ready to learn to do some machining and wants to try making one of these himself. I wanted to give him a complete set of dimensioned drawings, posted below, as well as a step by step video to complete the project. At the same time, I wanted to ensure everyone could see some machining take place and watch this full build come together. I hope this will help anyone who wants to make a gyroscope and provide enough detail that you can tackle the project.

It took me a couple of tries to find roller bearings that could handle the speed for this build. I finally found them at Boca bearing, link in the video description.

Full Dimensions/Drawings for gyroscope build:

Attachments

• Gyroscope First Design Outer Ring v6.pdf
    127.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Gyroscope First Design Starting Nub v7.pdf
    128.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Gyroscope First Design Spacers v7.pdf
    90.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Gyroscope First Design Lock Nuts v4.pdf
    137.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Gyroscope First Design Bearing Cup v9.pdf
    226.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Gyroscope First Design Center Shaft Axle v2.pdf
    60.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Gyroscope First Design Top Cap v4.pdf
    141.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Gyroscope First Design Balance Stud v5.pdf
    165.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Gyroscope First Design Base v3.pdf
    95.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Gyroscope First Design Brass Flywheel v3.pdf
    299.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
That's beautiful. I am wondering if ball bearings are the way to go as opposed to small pins running in bushings?
I think a traditional pin point on the bottom and a bearing in the top would be the ticket. Ideally, zero axial load on the bearing to reduce friction.

That's beautiful. I am wondering if ball bearings are the way to go as opposed to small pins running in bushings?
Thank you. For this build since I needed the shaft to come through to use the starter I had to use the ball bearings. Had to find the right ones to make it work but they him just fine now.

Reactions: rwm
I think a traditional pin point on the bottom and a bearing in the top would be the ticket. Ideally, zero axial load on the bearing to reduce friction.
That may be worth a try. Can easily make a new shaft and bottom insert to see. May do that when my son brings it home this summer.

Back