Gyroscope Kit Prototype

Doug Gray

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Hey Girls and Guys

Today in my shop I continued to develop a prototype for a Gyroscope Kit I am working on. Today specifically was the upper bearing housing.
The "wheel" is 3" diameter cast iron (prototype shown is steel) and the frame is from 3" heavy wall pipe. The axle will ride on deep groove ball bearings.
The intent is to create a skookum Gyroscope that will stay upright for a good long while.

20210626_224903.jpg

Lots of cool items over at my store.

It might be difficult to get a perfectly balanced wheel having the setscrew access extend all the way to the outer edge. Perhaps a smaller hub for the screw would create less imbalance? Bring it in close to the axle as possible
-Mark

Would you be able to make them with just a lathe and drill press? I don’t know how precise the holes would have to be.

It might be difficult to get a perfectly balanced wheel having the setscrew access extend all the way to the outer edge. Perhaps a smaller hub for the screw would create less imbalance? Bring it in close to the axle as possible
Or perhaps you can add two more set screws (total of 3 at 120deg spacing around the circumference and then you can adjust them to fine tune the balance.

Thanks for the responses and likes. Right now the prototype shown has two sets screws 180 apart, with flats on the axle. I'm inclined at this point to let the set screws do their thing and balance the wheel by other methods.
Would you be able to make them with just a lathe and drill press? I don’t know how precise the holes would have to be.
Good question Braeden. Looking over the drawings I don't see where a milling machine is absolutely necessary, but it would make for an easier build.

That looks fun. I might have to order a few things at a time from you to keep the shipping from adding too much to the cost. Our respective governments don't seem to want to play nice there. :)

Back