H. Gerstner & Sons Wood Machinist Tool Chest

koba49

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I remember back when I started in this trade 35 years ago when a machinist had to have all his own tools. Everybody had to prove they were not a fly by night and they were serious about being a skilled tradesman they had to have the best tools like starrett and if you had high dollar tools you had to have a high dollar tool box Gerstner was what everyone had to have. Usually when an old timer retired you buy the box used, I do not ever remember anyone buying one new. And used people wanted 3 times what a new kennedy cost. I have a friend that has his father's tool box and I have never seen one in like new condition like this one So I thought posting some pictures may interest
some people

What a wonderful toolbox. I wont one, so I will just have to make one if I can. I love wooden toolboxes but as yet have never seen one not in pictures, they seem to have been totally replaced by tin these days. Not that some of them aren't just pretty darn good as well !

Gerstner & Sons is still in business. You can purchase new boxes or kits. Replacement hardware is also available.

Tim

I have one of those. But not in as good of shape. I also have the Oak one that size. I don't really use either one as I have the larger steel box with the 2 drawer mid and the bottom cart. The one I have like that had the American Machinist Handbook 2nd edition in it when I got it.

I have a Gerstner I bought used 43 years ago and paid $50.00 for it with a lot of tools, it is a true piece of what american quality use to stand for, mine is all quartered sawn oak that is matched and is pleasing to the eyes. About 7-10 years ago I called Gerstner for a replacement leather handle as mine has deteriorated beyond repair, they wanted more for a new handle than I paid for the whole box so I put a cad plated metal handle on it.(guess someone will cuss me some day). From what I have seen on the new Gerstner boxes is a mixture of 1/4 sawn and plain sawn mixed on the same box and color variations that would get you a F in art class. (Guess I've lived to long).

I was handed down a Gerstner chest like that, but mine was all oak color. I took the top off and modified the top compartment to be a open face tray, making a deluxe taboret . I made a 10-drawer rolling case for it to sit on and used it for my art supplies while I was an illustrator. I still have it. I stored pens, pencils, Design markers, Exacto knives, air brushes and accessories, colored pencils, ink, paints, triangles, ellipse and circle guides in and on it.
The base and its drawers was my very first table saw project, made with a 9" Rockwell contractor's saw.

IMG_0949.JPG

I have just visited the gerstner web sight and judging by the prices they are charging for a tool chest, all be it a nice piece of equipment, they are not aiming to sell these to your average machinist working a regular 7.30am to 4pm day. And if you look at the extra's they offer to fit and prices, you would think they are building Duesy's.
I will stick to my original thought and build a tool chest. At least I will get a custom fitting at my own price. I think I'll use Kauri, it grows here and is the most expensive wood in the world ! Unless you know where to find it cheap. If I ever get around to doing this I will post some pictures of the finished product. It will take a long time as I have too many projects on the go now.

I have just visited the gerstner web sight and judging by the prices they are charging for a tool chest, all be it a nice piece of equipment, they are not aiming to sell these to your average machinist working a regular 7.30am to 4pm day. And if you look at the extra's they offer to fit and prices, you would think they are building Duesy's.
I will stick to my original thought and build a tool chest. At least I will get a custom fitting at my own price. I think I'll use Kauri, it grows here and is the most expensive wood in the world ! Unless you know where to find it cheap. If I ever get around to doing this I will post some pictures of the finished product. It will take a long time as I have too many projects on the go now.
Gerstner is still in business! They must be doing something right!

Back