H+K VP9 Slide cut for red dot?

22srfun

Registered
Registered
I have an H+K VP9 with a Vortex Viper red dot site mounted on an adapter that fits in the rear site dovetail. It works OK but sits very high up.You must hold the pistol at an odd position to get the site aligned correctly.
Many pistols now have a notch machined in the top to mount the site at the correct height.
Has anyone out there cut their own? If so, some location dimensions would be helpful.

When I machined my slides for the Trijicon RMR sight/base combo I used the dimensions that came with the sight base. And I don't know where I put them. Sorry. :(

Does Trijicon make a sight base for your pistol?

Did you cut a VP9 slide?
If so, how deep did you cut from the top of the slide.
I have a base that holds the site in the existing dovetail

Not sure how much it helps but when doing a venom cut for my Glock 26 I put it on a rotary table and just cut the back arc right over the rear dovetail removing it. I’m going optic only for now and don’t know that I’ll ever want to use irons on it again. I found dimensions online that I could go almost .120 deep but I only went about .1. For the front I just set my dro to cut a bolt pattern of 20 holes over a 45 degree arc at the appropriate radius to match the footprint. Both ends have an arc with a radius longer than the optic. I used a 1/4” carbide end mill but in retrospect would have used a bigger end mill for the front cut to make it smoother not that you can tell once the optic is on.

Back