HAFCO AL350B Lathe from Australia

Oysta

Registered
Registered
Gday,

I previously introduced myself and my machine in the welcome section but thought I'd start a thread here for my lathe. Apologies for any repetition.

I am now the proud owner of a HAFCO AL350B.
Year: 1988
Swing: 12 in.
Between Centres: 27 in. as per catalogue OR 24 in. as per original manual
Belt drive

Included was the original sales brochure (and price AUD), link here.
I also received the original manual and inspection record, link here.
I also got a 4 jaw, travelling steady, tailstock, faceplate, dead centres, small amount of tooling.

The manual implies that it is a rebranded Liang Dei (LD), but there are no markings on the lathe to confirm this so can't be 100% sure. It is very similar to the HAFCO AL900A/AL900B. I think the only difference may be bed length. I note there is another thread on the AL900A here.

I am in the process of giving it a good clean & lube and fitting an E-stop before I fire it up for the first time.

My first question - lubrication
Firstly the spindle bearings. The manual provides no guidance here. The two bearings sit in individual oil baths, filled via two holes under the headstock cover (see photos). Draining appears to be via the front sight glasses.
Can anybody with a similar machine provide some guidance on the grade of oil for the spindle bearings? I have read conflicting information from the various manuals available for these Taiwanese lathes. Some manuals specify the equivalent of ISO32 (TIDA/Jet) while others (Grizzly) recommend ISO68. I have both grades available in hydraulic oil.

I plan to use ISO68 hydraulic oil on all the other lubrication points other than the ways for which I have a dedicated way oil.
The quick change gear box I'm unsure about. It has the single lube point that then drips through the various holes onto the gears. I'm also leaning towards ISO68 hydraulic oil.

I'd appreciate your input.

Looking forward to making some chips...eventually.

Adam

y4mVBc0d7PtrnhjNwC90cVS8_l6QLBnThWTPlXj2tlOgefQRW4TkAXi6Ak9lIoeFrEKhPobTTZB5Mi2iupLIRcUQC48823_DL5_sLlkDGlsLLRRp8d72c2IhWE90cWZOf-KwwC5O1Ta2gFX7m5eY0zIFuDQG3sVg7UTnIYpcGhMikg38y8SSqP92a41HRMyEo5J

y4m1HGXvMHXaMWGNDw6kck6fq8JchcBYfEccQrZ1n2HUuGt51bPtHO0lT9KRFSGw8Yf4QxBuzwaqz0uv1E-MQ1M2mDZMsXLUtCKahv0fmrgZNhrrx89arROBRY2NErQhKVzT5IRtUX3r_0LPJkFesFwByyWiX7Auy4HQeujApk2UQAG_fwntzfXH1LB5nkrLM4B

y4m2yxODylkVODe1p8KXWy2mVZR9dnZ4nKO8hpPi40lLfwLGxLZ5DY0flLn6Kmifm9mzwYrgSiNUQCOE_Kdb2U1j0s8cHd5i-9nl1AC5TLYi3p-gMAqnGNK7y7IaGzVrPLQmIfo8tSy8IJugz7nACxUW0j2YMuwxvn0R9638bL12Dd7pANR1DI1xTAS2wHVciS9
y4mUmS_xO0KiaeqQ26UcS35aQ0Pxq4srDyhses0PRVW1PDVJTujoYxQWHtl9S-3CgDU_lT5QD4ZM7GUB-xi3AbAB4eZnuE6v9p8iZjPaJ_M85LvG9M3k4M2jVWl5wUti43233gVS946HnF02yLyTvh9mztSSslN_Cpi7aQVZCEC_8tpBNEn5wIkNJPWWEAWKycp

G’Day
A trusted brand of ISO68 will be sufficient.
Avoid extreme pressure lubricants for gears coming in contact with bronze and brass components
Here, Mobil DT25 is what I use at the shop

Hey look, helical gears and a belt.
I bet it's quiet.

Looks like you lathe is very similar to the Jet Family of lathes made in Taiwan in the 1980's, which were branded under a number of different names, Jet, Tida, Lam, etc. In the Download section there are a number of manuals under the various branding names, each have useful bits of information. In my case I put them together as a Super Manual. The Grizzly manual is the most comprehensive. Also, though Grizzly no longer sell the lathe, they continue to support parts, if that ever become a need (though shipping down under may be prohibitive)

Pretty much the same as the one I just got, seems like a lot of them out there so we're in good company.

I'm using tractor (hydraulic) oil that's ISO68 I believe for everything. I figure it'll be fine for my use, I'm not a factory afterall.

John

Looks like you lathe is very similar to the Jet Family of lathes made in Taiwan in the 1980's, which were branded under a number of different names, Jet, Tida, Lam, etc. In the Download section there are a number of manuals under the various branding names, each have useful bits of information. In my case I put them together as a Super Manual. The Grizzly manual is the most comprehensive. Also, though Grizzly no longer sell the lathe, they continue to support parts, if that ever become a need (though shipping down under may be prohibitive)

Thanks DAT510,

Downloading all those manual was the first thing I did after becoming a member. That were my query originated. For the spindle bearings, some of those manuals specify the equivalent of ISO32 (TIDA/Jet) while others (Grizzly) recommend ISO68. It may not be that critical, but if I have both I might as well put the correct grade in.

G’Day
A trusted brand of ISO68 will be sufficient.
Avoid extreme pressure lubricants for gears coming in contact with bronze and brass components
Here, Mobil DT25 is what I use at the shop

Hi Ulma Doctor,
I notice from a different post that you have a Shenwai SW900B. They look pretty much indistinguishable. All these similar Taiwanese lathes even have the same yellowish colour paint under the cover and on the inside of the bed...surely the same factory.

Mobil DT25 is ISO46 from what I can tell. Is that correct?

I have a PM1440HD and it recommends one oil for everything. Mobil DTE heavy/medium. I suspect that as long as everything has oil on it, all will be fine. A belt running in the same case as the gears may call for some considerable care about getting the lube only on the gears!

Thanks Larry,

Mobil DTE heavy/medium is an ISO 68 grade from what I can gather...so everything seems to be pointing towards that grade. I have been wondering how/what I'll lubricate the gears inside the case with. Keeping the lube on the gears and not contaminating the belt is my aim. I've seen everything recommended from moly grease, to tacky chain spray lube to standard oil.

Hi Ulma Doctor,
I notice from a different post that you have a Shenwai SW900B. They look pretty much indistinguishable. All these similar Taiwanese lathes even have the same yellowish colour paint under the cover and on the inside of the bed...surely the same factory.

Mobil DT25 is ISO46 from what I can tell. Is that correct?
Sorry fat fingers, DT26 is what it should have read

Back