Half nut problem

RickMc

Registered
Registered
Need to remove and clean the apron but while I have it off I need to figure out what's wrong with my half nuts. The carriage moves with the lead screw and the lockout works so I can't engage the half nut. When I move the half nut lever down it engages but the carriage won't move. I adjusted the half nut down as for as I can but no movement. Is there something in the apron I should be looking at besides the half nut. Seems like something is not moving to engage the lead screw after I move the lever down.

Posting the Grizzly lathe model number would help. Also, consider calling Grizzly directly, they're usually really helpful about that sort of stuff.

Does the lead screw stop turning when you engage the half nuts? If so, maybe you sheared off a pin or something is loose in your QCGB???

Ted

Does the lead screw stop turning when you engage the half nuts? If so, maybe you sheared off a pin or something is loose in your QCGB???

Ted
The lead screw keeps turning and qcgb is all good as far I can tell. Can change speeds no problem.

Posting the Grizzly lathe model number would help. Also, consider calling Grizzly directly, they're usually really helpful about that sort of stuff.
I think it might be an early version or a clone of a G4000. It's Grizzly green. May have been bought at Princess Auto inCanada. years ago.
Plate has Mod. #5167
Ser # 205056 and date 199112 on it.

Does it have longitudinal feed other than the half nut? I had a similar problem on my lathe where the feed interlock came loose and was always engaged. So as not to allow you to engage the slow power feed and fast half nut at the same time there is an inter lock in the apron assembly that prevents you from engaging them simultaneously. That may have gotten loose and is prevent ting the half nut from moving fully.

Yes its got longitudinal feed and the lockout seems work but I'll have a closer look before I pull everything apart. Lots of swarf in the apron and maybe not letting something to move all the way.

If the leadscrew is turning and the half nuts are engaged but your carriage doesn't move, you don't have any threads left in you're half nuts. Did you buy the machine used?

Hi Chuck. I bought it used.Your right on. I just back from the shop and came to same conclusion. Everything works as they should but the half nuts are probably stripped. I'll know more after I pull things apart. Being trying to analyze without taking to much apart but I'll have to jump in and take the apron off.
Thanks everyone with the suggestions. Ill post the results after I do some C.S.I. on it.

There's not much that would surprise me on a used machine anymore.

Back