Hammering plate for a table top

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a 1/2" plate that has some chunks taken out of it, and maybe one factory edge. I'm thinking of squaring the plate by taking off the odd shaped piece, and making a plate to hammer on for the welding table. 11x13 (nominal) not square in the picture. I'm wondering if that would be utilitarian enough, without getting too heavy? Not sure what to do with the 24x29 inch leftover. I'm becoming a hoarder, there is also a 6'x5"x1" length of MS stock.( no picture)

Reactions: Z2V
I’m sure you will find a worthy project.
No telling what’s going to happen to steel prices in the future. I stop by my local metal shop every time I go into town. Just looking in the drop room for something I think I might use.

I've done exactly that, i had plate lay around thinner then i like for hammering so i added on an thick plate at the end it works great i've drilled couple of holes at the edges and is great for knocking out pins from parts, forming metal at sharp angles and is always near by. Here is the complete build of my little shop workbench, link: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...shop-workbench-with-steel-storage-rack.60880/
DSC_0004.JPG

Last edited:
I like it, I put a dust/swarf tray under my fab table top. I may add stock storage too now.

Excellent welding table material.
One option is to not cut the "L" from the plate and leave it the shape it is right now,( just clean up the edges) ,it'll help you clamp the workpiece from inside the table frame so when welding ,the clamp handles won't stick out/be in the way.

The only problem is that the full plate is very heavy to move. I will evaluate just how much I would actually have to/do move it.

If I'm remembering correctly, the vendor here wanted 700 bucks for a 4x8 sheet. Finding re purpose stuff is very hard.

Back