Harbor Freight Mini Lathe I Want To Add A Milling Head

teched

Registered
Registered
I have a HF lathe that I took in trade for a $150 go-kart many years ago. It has been a great little lathe, but I would like to add a Milling head. My lathe looks just like the one picture(Minus the Milling Head)not sure what the model number is off the top of my head. I was wondering if "THEY" make/sell just the milling head to attach to my lathe. Thanks in advance.

39743.gif

In my opinion, you would be much better off with an independent milling machine. They are far more capable for almost all jobs compared to an add-on.

I know of no add-on milling attachment for the ubiquitous 7 or 9 X lathes. However, Emco made them in various sizes for their lathes. The Compact 5 & Compact 8 used the same small milling attachment. The Emcomats and Maximats had larger sizes. As you may know, most of the 9 X Asian lathes are a clone of the Emco Compact 8 and I would think one of those would work for you. The milling attachment simply bolts onto the back of the lathe, which had a slightly reinforced pad to accept it. The fixture attached with 4 bolts and simply accepted the post of the milling attachment. The mill is functional, uses an ER-25 collet to hold cutters and is capable of small jobs that don't require a lot of stock removal. If your needs are very simple, this might work.

I will say again that you would be better served with an independent milling machine. Even a small mini-mill will be far, far more capable than one of these attached devices.

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at full size Bridgeport's, but really don't have the space or the need for it. I would like to have the ability to machine some aluminum for a door plate. I took a look at the link and that looks like an attachment if you already have the head. I need a head. I am not sure if they are powered off the lathes drive motor/gearbox or if they have a separate motor.

Ok Here is some more info. The SKU is 31316 and it is Labeled Harbor Freight Made in China Bench Lathe. I found a couple of mill heads on ebay but they mount in the middle of the machine. The one in the pict mounts to left side. I could probaly make the ones I found on ebay work, but I would have to drill holes in the casting to bolt it on.

s-l1600.jpg

Just found this on my local craigslist for $2000. Little rich for my blood. Like I said i dont have a bunch in this Lathe and it works good for what I need. Does Smithy sell just a head
smithy.jpg

I agree on the "Cheezyness" of the attachment. The one that bolts to the top left side of the machine like the Smithy, looks much stronger. They have a Bridgeport for $1200 about 2 hours from my home. He has had it on forever and would probaly take $1000 and for another $200 I can get one of the Phase converter boxes with the built in speed control. I could mill out a propeller for the Titanic with that baby, but way to large for my basement shop.

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at full size Bridgeport's, but really don't have the space or the need for it. I would like to have the ability to machine some aluminum for a door plate. I took a look at the link and that looks like an attachment if you already have the head. I need a head. I am not sure if they are powered off the lathes drive motor/gearbox or if they have a separate motor.

The attachment mounts on the cross slide and the tool is inserted in the lathe spindle. The attachment allows horizontal movement, thus giving movement in three dimensions.

I used a milling attachment on a lathe until I got a milling machine. Definitely not heavy duty.

Back