Harbor Freight sand blasting cabinet questions

The venturi in the blast nozzle works on the Bernoulli principle. That means a zone of low pressure is induced in the tube, which should draw "emulsified" sand into the nozzle. The bleed valve is how you control the aeration of the emulsion, and only works because the "mixing chamber" is long and horizontal. If you don't allow enough air in, the emulsion will be too dense to flow. I would start with the valve open and close it slowly while holding the trigger, and stop at the point where it really sings. It should be a set it and forget it type of thing. If you change media, say from silicon carbide to glass beads, you will need to re-calibrate the bleed.
That's the idea, however I can't get the gun to reliably feed sand regardless of what setting the bleed valve is at. I may try swapping the gun out for a different one, it seems like the venturi in this one doesn't create much suction, the trigger valve also leaks like a sieve when its on. When I disconnect the sand line from the metering valve and check the suction with my thumb, there's hardly anything there.

In case anyone is wondering, I rectified the issue with a new ANI blasting gun from the same store. The issue must have been poor performance with the old gun. The cabinet works excellent now with the metering valve setup and new gun.

Attachments

• PXL_20230501_203116991.jpg
    PXL_20230501_203116991.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 8
Back