Hard disc magnets

gonzo

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
You can get some great strong magnets by salvaging them from old hard discs.
Here I use them to hold a piece of acrylic for chip defense.
They are strong enough to work through the thickness of the 1/8 inch plastic.MVC-047L.JPG MVC-048L.JPG MVC-049L.JPG MVC-051L.JPG
Otherwise they can be used to secure most anything to your machines.

Good tip. Thank you!

I just salvaged 3 HD drives and collected the magnets. I knew they could be useful. Chip guards were already on my to do list but I didn't like the idea of drilling and tapping the cross slide.

Another great place is from scrapped microwave ovens. Be careful of the capacitors, but you can get a couple of strong dount shaped magnets.

You can get some great strong magnets by salvaging them from old hard discs.
Here I use them to hold a piece of acrylic for chip defense.
Good thinking, there; Another magnet source may be interesting, too; old toner-cartridge designs used a long magnet to sweep the roller clean,
and those have the right field configuration to mount in a PVC pipe and use as a sticky wand to grab chips, or even
to find screws that rolled under the big furniture.
Beware, though, disassembly to get to the magnets will be... messy.

Good thinking, there; Another magnet source may be interesting, too; old toner-cartridge designs used a long magnet to sweep the roller clean,
and those have the right field configuration to mount in a PVC pipe and use as a sticky wand to grab chips, or even
to find screws that rolled under the big furniture.
Beware, though, disassembly to get to the magnets will be... messy.
I pulled apart one of those and attempted to salvage the magnet. It was actually the flexible rubber type and well bonded to the aluminum, rod. I wasn't able to get it off in one piece and the material itself wasn't a strong enough magnet to be usefull. I ended up tossing it. The aluminum rod was useful though.

I just took an old hard drive apart thanks to this thread. Very interesting!
Magnets are very strong. Was impressed with the precision of parts. Would like to see this come up on 'How its made'.

Back