Hard time putting mill back together

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
Took apart my PM25MV's beds. I put them back on, but I'm having a tough time with them. Specifically the gibs. Do I insert them after the bed is put in place? The X axis gib was hard to slide in and now the X axis is seized up, but I only have one side done for now. The gibs have notches on one end. Not sure if it that matters which way the notch is pointing.

Also the X axis leadscrew has different ends. Not sure which side goes where. The mill diagram shows both sides looking similar.

Any tips? I'm sure I have the gibs going to the right axis because if I swap them out, one is too thin and the other will be too thick.

I'm not familiar with the PM25MV but the mills that I have seen have a tapered gib which is adjusted by a screw, the head of which engages the notch in the gib. The screw is threaded into the table in turn. That said, there should only be one orientation of the gib that makes any sense.

Without the positioning screw in place, if the gib is pushed in, drawing the table back will pull the gib further in to lock the table. The solution is using a narrow drift to drive the gib out. Put it in place with the adjustment screw and make your gib adjustment from there.

I think RJ is right- there should be only one way the gibs go back in, you'll have to do some trial and error and probably take it apart a few times before you get it right
When I take something apart I use a Sharpie or masking tape labels to help with reassembly- especially if the unit is going to be apart for a while
M

The parts manual shows x and y gibs as same part#. The gibs are adjusted by opposing screws that push on each end of the gib. Make sure you have the gib taper facing the correct direction. When assembling make sure the screw that pushes on the skinny end of the gib is screwed all the way in. If the screw does not stop the gib movement it will wedge itself tight when you try and move the table. After you have the table on follow the gib adjusting procedure of tightening one end while loosening the other. The screws need to be tight against both ends of the gib.

I knew I shoulda taken pictures before taking it apart

Anyone have the same mill can tell me which side has the notched gibs and which direction it goes on x and y?

The owners manual should tell you how to tighten or loosen the gib adjustment. Armed with that information miking the taper of the gib should make it obvious which way it goes.

With the gib out, compare the size of the gap from the left and the right. The gib goes in the wider gap, thin end first.

Did you manage to get this mill back together? If not where are you at with the project

Back