Hardinge Hlv-h 11" X 18" W/ Newall New Dro - Hlvh

tjnak

Registered
Registered
If money were no issue would you have a HARDINGE HLV-H 11" x 18" HLVH as your only lathe?

I'm a hobby machinist at best. I have a Granite 1324 Chinese POS.

So I can afford to buy a 1964 model that looks real nice. Kind of kismet as I was manufactured in 1964 as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading this.

If the work envelope is large enough for your work then go for it. If it were in my shop it would probably get the most use, but I would still need a larger lathe for some of the work I do. If I found a smokin deal on one locally, it would be sitting in my shop.

Yes, get it. Nice machines are - well nice to use! Over time, and as opportunities present, keep upgrading your kit.

Yes Go for it!

Never pass up a tool, when you have the funds and space.

Defiantly a dream machine. I've been looking at those. Gonna build a shop this summer so will have to wait.

I have a HLV, the predecessor to the one your looking at. Incredible machines, deadly accurate. set the crossed to take say .007 off the dia and you get it every time. The feel of the controls is smooth, and threading is a joy. Cutting an inside thread to a shoulder at 500 rpm is a breeze. BUT
They are by no means a work horse. I'll often rough a shaft down on the big lathe and put it on the Hardinge for final dimensions and threading. A lot of my work is too large for it. They don't have a lot of power. I was making an adaptor plate out of 1/2 inch aluminum today. Drilled it out to 1 1/4, which was a bit of a strain for it, then started boing it out to 4.334 dia. For the first half I could take .050 cuts but from about 3 inch out had to ease back to .025, you could see the chuck slowing down.
Wouldn't want to be without it, but not sure I could live with it as my only lathe.

Greg

I have a HLV, the predecessor to the one your looking at. Incredible machines, deadly accurate. set the crossed to take say .007 off the dia and you get it every time. The feel of the controls is smooth, and threading is a joy. Cutting an inside thread to a shoulder at 500 rpm is a breeze. BUT
They are by no means a work horse. I'll often rough a shaft down on the big lathe and put it on the Hardinge for final dimensions and threading. A lot of my work is too large for it. They don't have a lot of power. I was making an adaptor plate out of 1/2 inch aluminum today. Drilled it out to 1 1/4, which was a bit of a strain for it, then started boing it out to 4.334 dia. For the first half I could take .050 cuts but from about 3 inch out had to ease back to .025, you could see the chuck slowing down.
Wouldn't want to be without it, but not sure I could live with it as my only lathe.

Greg

Thanks all for the responses.

I dream of .050 cuts. The POS I'm using now can hardly take .020.

I would respectfully suggest that you might need to work on your sharpening or tool presentation skills if you can only take a 20 thou cut. You can do that with a HF mini lathe with HSS tooling. HLVH is a great lathe , personally I like Monarch 10ee better, more power, larger work envelope but if I had a chance to snag a HLVH at good price I would be all over it in a heartbeat.

michael

I would respectfully suggest that you might need to work on your sharpening or tool presentation skills if you can only take a 20 thou cut. You can do that with a HF mini lathe with HSS tooling. HLVH is a great lathe , personally I like Monarch 10ee better, more power, larger work envelope but if I had a chance to snag a HLVH at good price I would be all over it in a heartbeat.

michael

All good advise Michael. Thanks.

Back