Hardinge HLV Tailstock Question

kb3guy

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
I happened to get a good deal on a Hardinge HLV lathe recently, which seems like a much better machine than I am a machinist. It has a few issues - one of which is a stiff tailstock. So far I've consulted the parts list, taken out the locking mechanism and the nut plug, and applied gentle pressure to the feed wheel. No luck there - I really don't want to damage anything, and I'm not sure what to do next. Any ideas on how to get this un-stuck? Thanks.

2020-03-27 13.58.22.jpg

Shopsweeper

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Is there an internal Allen Nut behind a brass split plug deal (may be a bearing setup)? If so did you get that loosened up too?

I don't have an HLV but Hardinge does a belt+suspenders approach on few items (l saw this approach on my older cross slide). Its deal where you have to loosen one to get the other. I wish I could be more precise - extra pictures might assist - there are some smart folks on here.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock