HARIG BURR BEAVER - $200 (san leandro, CA)

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I'm happy! I scored some good deals this week - this bur-beaver thing and I got a mint Mitutoyo grade 0 micrometer calibration set with ceramic blocks for a ridiculous price. I swore I would stop spending money on machining stuff but things keep jumping into my lap. I need to go look for the nearest chapter of Hobby Machinist's Anonymous ...

Shucks after seeing the other deal on gauge blocks I went looking, but as usual not with enough knowledge, the ceramic did catch my attention. So many vintage ones, but missing blocks, etc.

I dunno', I think gauge blocks in a hobby shop are not useful enough to warrant the cost. A small precision set to check the accuracy of your instruments is useful, though. If I see another grade 0 set I'll let you know.

I need to go look for the nearest chapter of Hobby Machinist's Anonymous ...

No use. All that did was turn me into a liar & flake..... "um, no, I did not buy anything this week" & "oh yeah, sorry I missed the last meeting but I promise to be at the next one"

I dunno', I think gauge blocks in a hobby shop are not useful enough to warrant the cost. A small precision set to check the accuracy of your instruments is useful, though. If I see another grade 0 set I'll let you know.

If it weren't for ebay I'd never own any. I bought a like new Mitutoyo set but it was only grade 3 (AS-1) which should be fine for me. Not too long after, during an ebay flash sale I bought another China set to be used as a beater set, grade AS-2. Waste of money cause owning the China beater set means that I will probably rarely ever use the Mitu set. I bought both of them in 2017 & have only used them like 2 or 3 times.

I think I would find more use for pin gauges but I have been fine without a set so far. But still I want them. Got 2 sets of Vermonts that are on my wish list. Just waiting for the next sale.

Mike I'm actually really excited you got the Burr Beaver! For me I don't use my chamfering machine that often but I'll find any excuse to use it & love it. Seems like not many of us own these here, not hobbyists like me anyway. But I understand why, these things are so unbelieveabley expensive for what they are. Seems like they are mostly found in production shops.

If it weren't for ebay I'd never own any. I bought a like new Mitutoyo set but it was only grade 3 (AS-1) which should be fine for me. Not too long after, during an ebay flash sale I bought another China set to be used as a beater set, grade AS-2. Waste of money cause owning the China beater set means that I will probably rarely ever use the Mitu set. I bought both of them in 2017 & have only used them like 2 or 3 times.

I think I would find more use for pin gauges but I have been fine without a set so far. But still I want them. Got 2 sets of Vermonts that are on my wish list. Just waiting for the next sale.

I put pin gauges in the same category as gauge blocks - useful on occasion but not really a must-have. I have a set of pin gauges that have come out maybe 2-3 times in the last 30 years. Adjustable parallels, now those are useful and far more versatile than gauge blocks.

I have a set of parallels coming, good seller, but there were only pictures in the pouch, that's questionable to me, but we'll see. Returnable....

Mike I'm actually really excited you got the Burr Beaver! For me I don't use my chamfering machine that often but I'll find any excuse to use it & love it. Seems like not many of us own these here, not hobbyists like me anyway. But I understand why, these things are so unbelieveabley expensive for what they are. Seems like they are mostly found in production shops.

I've wanted a beveling machine for a very long time, long before Stefan put them on everybody's radar. Up till now, I've made do with a file but I hope this machine will help to add a touch of class to the things I build without being too over the top. We'll see, I need to play with it but I think it will do the same for mill projects that gravers do for lathe projects.

I have a set of parallels coming, good seller, but there were only pictures in the pouch, that's questionable to me, but we'll see. Returnable....

I hope they're in good shape. If so, keep them. They will save your bacon one day.

Back