Harig Super 612 Motor replacement question

Black Earth Knives

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I am a custom knife maker and picked up an old Harig 612 surface grinder. I am finding the 3phase motor to be a bigger problem than I anticipated. I have 220 to my shop so my question is...is it possible to replace the 3phase motor with a single phase 220 motor on this grinder? It will not be used for extended periods of time like in a machine shop, but rather for truing individual blades on a case by case basis as they are worked. Thanks for your help.

-Scott

I run my Harig Super 612 with a VFD, as I do all my 3 phase machinery, since I only have single phase power available in my shop. There is no down side to using VFDs to convert to 3-phase input as long as the VFD is properly sized for the motor you'll be running. 3-phase motors run much smoother than single phase motors, kind of like a comparing a 3 cylinder rotary engine to a one cylinder engine. More power, too. I think converting the Haring to a 220 single phase motor would ruin the grinder. If nothing else, the surface finish on your work would suffer.

I power my Harig 612 with a VFD. Works fine and is the least expensive route to go. Changing over to 220V would be very costly I am sure.

Bob

Thanks for the info. I gave up on the motor conversion and bought a rotary phase converter to run the 3phase grinder.

Back