Harig Super 618 acting up

Jim F

Registered
Registered
Has the accustep III installed.
When the table changes direction to feed out, the downfeed display shows the .0002 dialed in, the handwheel moves only .0001, when the Z changes to feed the table in, the display shows the .0002 down feed, but the handwheel drops .0003.

Any ideas ?

Last edited:
Could be, or it is just worn out, like all of us other relics..........

Check the gap between the reader and the scale. Also could be dirty. Tighten up the gibs.

It could be a couple of things. 1) the head gib is to tight as the head should be loose enough the head should hang on the lead screw. 2) The lube on the column ways are not working. 3) Loose connection 4) dirt in reading head like Cadilac said. I would mount a .0001 dial indicator on the colum to head and see if it moves too. That will rule out the DRO issues. If your machine is hydraulic check the pressure as it might be to high and when it reverses it shifts hard to create vibration. I found this for you. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2804/4247.pdf

It could be backlash, essentially what is touched on above. One thing to take into consideration is most digital displays have a tolerance of plus or minus one on the Least Significant Digit (LSD). It is a function of the electronics driving the LEDs of the display and is the same for good, not so good, and downright junky displays. It probably is covered somewhere in the "fine print" in the documentation. I say to never put 100% faith in a digital display. 99.9% is the best you can get. Always keep an edge to allow for such an occurance.

In the old days, when parts were often custom built, when we used digital voltmeters for such gizmos, we refered to the LSD as the meter being "spaced out". A poor joke, out of place, out of time, but. . .

This is a new issue this year.
This grinder gets used once a year for 2 small parts that we run once a year.
I will look into this further after I get back to work.
Next week is convalescent week.

Back