Has any one built a bowl lathe

Thanks Mike, I used to do a lot of furniture repair/ refinish. I did quite a bit o spindle turning then, but self employment stopped that type work. Now I just hate to throw a beautifully grained piece of wood into the wood heater. I will look into Raffans book. Did he do more than one book . What is the title?
Dave

I do some wood turning, mainly hollow forms and bowls and I would go at least 2 hp. Looking at your work above you appear to have good skill levels, as getting a big catch with a big motor will be ugly. My current lathe has a 1 hp motor and I regularly stall it on heavy cuts. I would definitely go for a vfd, three phase motor with a single phase in to three phase out vfd. Build it heavy, that will add to the stability of the machine and reduce vibration.

Have you looked at the ONEWAY lathe design, a friend has one and is very happy with it.

I have a Blount Patternmaker's lathe that will turn 20" over the bed and quite a lot more outboard. It has a 2 hp, 4 speed motor plus a VFD for speed control. The spindle is 1-1/2" 10 TPI. The outboard spindle has geared speed reduction. I think it turns about half the speed of the spindle over the bed. I would not go less than 2hp.

Photo Apr 03, 4 24 44 PM.jpg

BlountLathe 003.JPG

I have a Blount Patternmaker's lathe that will turn 20" over the bed and quite a lot more outboard. It has a 2 hp, 4 speed motor plus a VFD for speed control. The spindle is 1-1/2" 10 TPI. The outboard spindle has geared speed reduction. I think it turns about half the speed of the spindle over the bed. I would not go less than 2hp.

That is magnificent old lathe you have there sir.

Love that lathe. How much does it weigh?
Thanks for the input Tony.
John I will look into the ONEWAY, thanks
Dave

Thanks Mike, I used to do a lot of furniture repair/ refinish. I did quite a bit o spindle turning then, but self employment stopped that type work. Now I just hate to throw a beautifully grained piece of wood into the wood heater. I will look into Raffans book. Did he do more than one book . What is the title?
Dave

I was mistaken about the author. The book is LATHES AND TURNING TECHNIQUES , this is from the best of fine woodworking.
The heavy duty lathe starts on page 75. Richard Raffan is an accomplished turner and author but he did not write this book.
mike

My next door neighbor has one he hasn't used in a few years that's built like a tank. Probably sell if someone made him a good offer. I'll try and get some pics so you'd know of which I speak.

Back