Has anyone added flood cooling to a benchtop lathe?

Wonder if there's an application for dripping something like cool mist (dripping to avoid atomization), coupled with a small pan and something like pig mat below to catch it.

I just really don't like oil smoke :)

An old fashion drip oiler rigged up to a stand and some tubing will be as close to a machinists IV as you are going to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found dilute soluble oil coolant applied with an acid brush to be quite sufficient. No rust issues, little mess. I've been using Dromus B, making batches up as I need it. Keeps well in an old plastic bottle:

It even has quite a pleasant smell to it.

My lathe has a factory flood coolant system. I chose MobilMet 766 “Neat Cutting Fluid” which I set to a slow drizzle & keep away from high RPM chuck jaws.

This CF smokes sometimes; my family members in the house have noted the odor of this smoking CF. It is fairly messy, but I always use CF if at all possible so I tolerate the stained shirts & pants.

Before my flood coolant system, I usually found myself using my left hand to drizzle CF on the work, so it is nice to have both hands available again.

Back