Has anyone installed Clough42's electronic leadscrew on a PM machine?

Thanks! I was using the cable that came with the Ti board. I used another one I had kicking around and it worked just fine.

I must have forgotten the need to program the integrated servo. I am searching for the video on that.

Thanks! I was using the cable that came with the Ti board. I used another one I had kicking around and it worked just fine.

I must have forgotten the need to program the integrated servo. I am searching for the video on that.

I'm considering adding an ELS to my 1030. Any idea if you can get below 8TPI threading?

Hi @mkon86

1030. Any idea if you can get below 8TPI threading

Sometimes one just needs to be creative to get threading values which are not listed in your lathe model. I am not very familiar with the PM1030V, but I did create a generalize Excel workbook which allow one to quickly run gear possibilities to get TPI values that are not discussed in the lathe manuals. You will find it at the link below. You can put in all of your gears into each location run the macro and see what is generated in the list of all possibilities! You can also add new gears. If you really put all of them in the spread sheet at each axle the macro may take a while to run through all of the possibilities. But when it is done you will have ALL of the possibilities. Usually there are close approximations that are useful. One of the things that the manuals seldom do is to mix more than one possible set of translation gears, but the workbook allows for this. If you find it difficult or have questions about the workbook I am glad to try to help you. But since, I am not familiar with your lathe or hits mechanics I will wait to hear from you.

Anyway, since you want smaller TPI <8. You need to keep the small number of teeth gears at the gear box end and the large number of teeth gears at the spindle end. i.e increase the lead screw rotational rate compared to the spindle. In between you want to do the same for the translation shafts/axles and use both of them! For example, if you are trying to get to 4TPI. You might simply add two gears, with a 2:1 ratio at the upper translation shaft rather than the recommend transfer gear. (They will have to physically fit.)

Re: Improved Version: TPI, Feeds, X-Feeds: Generalized Lathe TPI Excel file: "TPI_ManyLathesRev1 N502_1630"

Dave L.

Not out of the box but I would think if you did the math and then the code you could..
Double the numerator in the fraction given in the tables for 8 TPI. Pretty sure all the values are in the source code. If the new fraction is less than 1, you should be good to go. If not, then further study of the source code is required. The simple Bresenham algorithm requires the ratio to be less than 1. I believe there's a workaround algorithm, but don't know if it's in Clough42's code.

In my ELS (my own code) I use the simple Bresenham algorithm. I can do and have done 4 TPI on my Grizzly G752Z, which is a 10 x 22 lathe. Don't know if Mr. Clough has any other software checks on allowed TPI's.

You can add

In tables.cpp

const FEED_THREAD inch_thread_table[] =
{
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, BLANK, FOUR}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(40) },
};

I've added several others
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, FOUR|POINT, FIVE}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(45) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, BLANK, FIVE}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(50) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, FIVE|POINT, FIVE}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(55) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, BLANK, SIX}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(60) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, SIX|POINT,FIVE}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(65) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, BLANK, SEVEN}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(70) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, BLANK, EIGHT}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(80) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, BLANK, NINE}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(90) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, ONE, ZERO}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(100) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, ONE, ONE}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(110) },
{ .display = {BLANK, ONE, ONE|POINT,FIVE}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(115) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, ONE, TWO}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(120) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, ONE, THREE}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(130) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, ONE, FOUR}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(140) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, ONE, SIX}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(160) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, ONE, EIGHT}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(180) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, ONE, NINE}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(190) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, TWO, ZERO}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(200) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, TWO, TWO}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(220) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, TWO, FOUR}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(240) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, TWO, SIX}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(260) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, TWO, SEVEN}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(270) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, TWO, EIGHT}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(280) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, THREE, TWO}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(320) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, THREE, SIX}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(360) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, THREE, EIGHT}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(380) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, FOUR, ZERO}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(400) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, FOUR, FOUR}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(440) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, FOUR, EIGHT}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(480) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, FIVE, TWO}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(520) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, FIVE, SIX}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(560) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, SIX, FOUR}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(640) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, SEVEN, TWO}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(720) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, SEVEN, SIX}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(760) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, EIGHT, ZERO}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(800) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, EIGHT, EIGHT}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(880) },
{ .display = {BLANK, BLANK, NINE, SIX}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(960) },
{ .display = {BLANK, ONE, ZERO, FOUR}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(1040) },
{ .display = {BLANK, ONE, ONE, TWO}, .leds = LED_THREAD | LED_TPI, TPI_FRACTION(1120) },
};

Hi @mkon86

Sometimes one just needs to be creative to get threading values which are not listed in your lathe model. I am not very familiar with the PM1030V, but I did create a generalize Excel workbook which allow one to quickly run gear possibilities to get TPI values that are not discussed in the lathe manuals. You will find it at the link below. You can put in all of your gears into each location run the macro and see what is generated in the list of all possibilities! You can also add new gears. If you really put all of them in the spread sheet at each axle the macro may take a while to run through all of the possibilities. But when it is done you will have ALL of the possibilities. Usually there are close approximations that are useful. One of the things that the manuals seldom do is to mix more than one possible set of translation gears, but the workbook allows for this. If you find it difficult or have questions about the workbook I am glad to try to help you. But since, I am not familiar with your lathe or hits mechanics I will wait to hear from you.

Anyway, since you want smaller TPI <8. You need to keep the small number of teeth gears at the gear box end and the large number of teeth gears at the spindle end. i.e increase the lead screw rotational rate compared to the spindle. In between you want to do the same for the translation shafts/axles and use both of them! For example, if you are trying to get to 4TPI. You might simply add two gears, with a 2:1 ratio at the upper translation shaft rather than the recommend transfer gear. (They will have to physically fit.)

Dave L.

This thread is about an electronic lead screw that eliminates the need for change gear combinations.

This thread is about an electronic lead screw that eliminates the need for change gear combinations.
You are right, but do realize he was trying to help. May not have been directly applicable, but might be helpful to others. But it's better to stay on topic. This started and should remain an ELS thread.

Reactions: B2
Hi @xr650rRider

Sorry if I offended you by my contribution. Since he has not installed an ESL yet, it was not clear to me that @mkon86 question was restricted to ESL or if he would really like to just make smaller TPI values than those listed in his manual. His question was:

I'm considering adding an ELS to my 1030. Any idea if you can get below 8TPI threading?
The min. TPI listed in the geared 1030 manual is 8 TPI. So I thought that maybe he just wanted to make smaller TPI values and did not have a way to do it. The manuals commonly do not mention all of the possible combinations, however the spread sheet that I reference does.

Anyway, if it was restricted to ELS then perhaps he has not explored the possibility of driving with different size pulleys or even one of the two transfer gear directly from the ELS stepper belt to speed up the lead screw. @paradox_pete seems to have addressed some of this earlier. It would seem to be pretty easy to pick up a factor of two or more for Low TPI values via the exchange gear arrangements of the 1030. After it all, it has two transfer gear axles so these are probably long enough for both a gear and a belt pulley.

Dave L.

Back