Has anyone installed Clough42's electronic leadscrew on a PM machine?

So I was having a awesome day in the girl cave and my LS just stopped.
So I got a meter from the Lab and got to troubleshooting. Had 48vdc and had power going to the motor and I could feel some resistance on the motor but it was weak. I pulled the motor and found chips in the open connector causing it to short out..

View attachment 465196
I removed the chips and all was good. I covered the opening so I don't have to worry about this anymore but just a heads up to cover the open slot before you bury the motor in a place that chips can get into...

After looking at your photo some more I realized your stepper more is between the ways and under the bed? That seems like a really bad place, I'm not sure how that works but it doesn't look good. All my gears are on the opposite side away from the bed. Anyway, I'm glad you got it working.

Thanks! I will make a cover to keep that from happening. It will be a lot easier to do before installing.

After looking at your photo some more I realized your stepper more is between the ways and under the bed? That seems like a really bad place, I'm not sure how that works but it doesn't look good. All my gears are on the opposite side away from the bed. Anyway, I'm glad you got it working.
Yes that is the best place to put the stepper if you want to be able to get the cover back on.
20221217_130015.jpg

I use air and a vacuum to clean and should have known better than to use air with it open.
20230617_090214.jpg
It fits with room to move to adjust the belt and the cover went back on ..

20230121_142415.jpg

I covered the opening and will not use air to clean and I should be fine. I also covered the open connector..

Can you rotate the motor 90* so that the connectors are on the front or back? The cover is also a good idea. Chips always seem to go everywhere, including placed you wouldn't expect them in!

Have any of you pulled out the pre-installed tach display from the headstock and tucked power supply and user interface in there? I haven't pulled the face plate off my 1030 yet to see how much space is available, but that'd be nice and clean if it can fit. For possible bonus points, integration of the speed controller.

It occurred to me yesterday that installing an ELS should effectively increase the power of a lathe.

A common way to drive the leadscrew on 10-12" lathes is with an 180 watt servo, That's almost 1/4 horsepower. Consequently, the lathe motor no longer has to use power to drive the leadscrew.

I'd guess an ELS will save in the ballpark of the same 1/4 HP (on lathes of this size). That saved power can be used to push the spindle.

I'd also guess that this isn't a big deal most of the time. But it might help out on a heavy cut.

RR

Back